S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 B5 01E gearbox output shaft bearing

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2023, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 B5 01E gearbox output shaft bearing

Hoping there's still enough people on here to help me sort an issue out. Basically I'm trying to find the part numbers for some bearings.

I have a 2000 S4 B5 and there's a really loud whining sound from the gearbox when under load. I had it up on a hoist with me 'driving' the car and my mechanic underneath and he said it seems to be coming from the back of the centre diff. It's also leaking oil from the back of the centre diff so seems logical to replace the seal and bearing.

I found the instructions for this here:
Audi Workshop Service and Repair Manuals > A4 Cabriolet Mk2 > Power transmission | 6-speed manual gearbox 01E, four-wheel drive | Final drive, differential, differential lock | Servicing front final drive | Renewing oil seal and grooved ball bearing for flange for propshaft on gearbox (workshop-manuals.com)
and someone's experience of doing the job here:
Output shaft seal - how to remove the flange? (audizine.com)

It seems doable but I can't for the life of me find the part number for the bearing.
Doing some googling I found 01E 311 220 A but it's not 100% clear if that's the right one or not.
This diagram:
output shaft; gears and shafts; for 6 speed manual... - Audi RS4/Avant quattro(RS4) [EUROPA 2000 year] (7zap.com)
lists that bearing as "taper roller bearing" but in the first link in my post, the diagram calls it "grooved ball bearing". Also the 7zap diagram in that last link has a couple of other bearings and I'm also not clear on what they are, OR whether there's a possibility that one of them is actually where my noise is coming from.

I also found this post
My Transmission Pinion Bearing Experience (audizine.com)
which to be fair is not an 01E but it looks like there's a couple of different bearings and the one that's bad he can't even remove to replace.

So basically I'm hoping someone can help me work out which bearing(s) I can actually replace with the gearbox still in the car and what their part numbers are.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 113 Likes on 99 Posts

You could ask an Audi Dealer Parts Dept for a picture and quote as lists the exact part numbers for your trans based on your VIN