S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

s4 care and feeding in unfriendly environment

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-1999, 10:03 PM
meem

Default s4 care and feeding in unfriendly environment

hi folks,

i've got an s4 on order for april 2000 delivery (don't want to unnecessarily subject it to a harsh boston winter) -- trying to do my homework so when it comes i'm ready to care for it.

i'm in kind of an unusual situation in that i live in an apartment sort of in the city (somerville ma, near tufts university). i have offstreet parking, but no garage to house my shiny new s4 in when it comes.

i'm looking for some advice on how to take care of it in these adverse conditions. seems like a car cover would be an obvious option, but seems kind of like a pain. any recommendations on brands? anyone else have any general advice for someone new at taking care of a fine automobile in harsh city environments?

thanks,
meem
Old 11-19-1999, 05:17 AM
PeteW

Default Exact situation for me in Boston as well...

I am going to apply Zaino Brothers products over three days at my parent's house. I will be washing it in one of those stalls every 1-2 weeks. I tried Carnuba last year, and it just did not hold up all that well. Zaino should hold up better. Car cover is out of the question, unless you can wash it every time you put it on. If the car was dirty, would you wipe a rag on it?
I did not think so.

-PeteW
Old 11-19-1999, 06:01 AM
Jim De Arras

Move. ;-)
Old 11-19-1999, 06:32 AM
meem

Default Re: Exact situation for me in Boston as well...

good point on the car cover. sigh. i feel like cameron's dad in ferris bueller's day off. maybe i should get the license plate "NRVOUS".

you're right w.r.t. using waxes, but i'm very nervous that one stray piece of grit in the rag will leave me wanting to kill myself about a month after delivery.

it's high time someone invented the insto-garage.
Old 11-19-1999, 06:36 AM
RJS

Default Advice....

I too lived in an area of Boston (Beacon Hill) with only off street or expensive garage parking available. I cannot see condemning your S4 to off street parking. Many times I witnessed people trying to parallel park in Beacon Hill, and if there wasn't enough room, they would simply bump the car ahead or behind them to MAKE room. Throw a major snowstorm into the mix, with the possiblity of non-quattro equipped cars slamming into your parked S4, and it is not an attractive option.

I was able to keep my car safe because I had a special arrangement where I could keep it at work. I lived within walking distance of work, and only used my car when I needed to leave the city. Don't know if this is viable for you. The best option, of course, is to pay to have it garaged near where you live.

Good luck.
Old 11-19-1999, 09:10 AM
Ymurakami

Default Get off-street parking. No matter what the cost.

It is not worth parking your brand new car out on the street. I think it is rather foolhardy if you expect it to remain in good condition. The weather in the area is unduly harsh throughout the year, and you are just asking for trouble by keeping it outside. Any inconvenience or cost on your part is worth the safety of preserving your new car! What about theft? I also hate the drivers in the area who have an inablility to park their cars. Bumping seems to be the rule and not the exception.
Old 11-19-1999, 09:34 AM
KING OF ALL S4's

Default Do not park on the Street! Your Pride and Joy Will Be Worse Off Otherwise

Either Way It will happen. You park the car, you go to your place. You sleep. the next morning. You come back down to find that some idiot has: A. scratched you car through parking; B. wildlife has left its traces (Bird ****); C. Sap, road tar, detritus has found its way onto your car; D. Idiots loitering around your car outside, have scratched the paint by sitting on it or given glancing blows to it will carrying bags, luggage, or groceries; E. dust and rocks from the road has coated your new car, and microscopic scratches have begun; F. your paint will oxidize because it has been out in the sun too long, hence the color will fade; and G. Your car will get stolen or broken into or at least scoped out by some scumbag who sees that a very rich yuppie or spoiled kid has left his nice new shiny car outside, ripe for the pickings. So I guess, that about covers the reasons the car should not be left outside!
Old 11-19-1999, 09:38 AM
GOD OF ALL S4

Default Stop mortal! You are forbidden from doing this!

You must not park your virgin car in the elements. That is why I created garages and communal/covered parking areas. Don't complain, get a Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, or better yet an Audi A4 1.8 if you are going to park outside. Parking outside puts a big bullseye on your car. A Bullseye I may throw a lightning bolt or two at!
Old 11-19-1999, 09:57 AM
april

Just had a TT sitting on milk crates - no wheels ! So Cal
Old 11-19-1999, 10:00 AM
$0.02

Default I've seen more damge in garages than on the street. Plus most people have no clue what an S4 is.

Almost every car in the garage where I use to live had been hit. Either by the driver not paying attention or by the valet attendants who just got there licencse. It reallly depends on the type of cars in your area. Are there other expensive cars on the street, or just old volvo's that soccer moms take their kids around in. They are the ones that will hit you. My neighborhood has lots of more expensive cars on the street Range rovers Mercedes 740 ils etc... As far as the elements go its an Audi, a quattro dont be afraid to use it, it is not a show car you drive once a month.

Quick Reply: s4 care and feeding in unfriendly environment