S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

The S4 has some compition..Check it out if you have not head already..

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2000, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The S4 has some compition..Check it out if you have not head already..

2002 Volkswagen Colorado: VW's 450-hp SUV Stomper<ul><li><a href="http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/automotive/01CNews/000517a.html">http://www.speedvision.com/pub/articles/automotive/01CNews/000517a.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-22-2000, 10:24 AM
hwj
AudiWorld Super User

Default Huh? I wouldn't call this a competitor to the S4.

Apples and oranges, my friend.<p>--
Hugh
<a href="http://home.austin.rr.com/hwj/hwj/cars/s4.html">'00 S4 Nogaro/Onyx+Blue</a>
Old 05-22-2000, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default If that thing ever came to U.S. it'd be badged either an Audi or Porsche

They keep the model differentiation in the US fairly clear.

The highest end of the VW line can't be higher than the top end of the Audi line, which can't be higher than the top end of the Porsche line, They wouldn't sell a 450hp VW here in a million years. If you look at the engine options, there's the exact cutoff as to how the car would be badged. Also, a vehicle that tall and heavy couldn't keep up with a Toyota Camry in the twisties, let alone an S4. The cool thing is that's the first acknowledgment that the 6-speed tip will be in a production car.

When will we be rid of these mobile chicanes?!?!
Old 05-22-2000, 10:41 AM

Default It IS coming to the US as a Volkswagen...that's already been decided

Porsche is bringing their OWN version with Porsche engines.

If I were going to get an SUV, it'd either be the VW/Porsche or the allroad. <p>-Chicago Joe
Lakes Region quattro Club
2000 Laser Red S4M
Old 05-22-2000, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

beleive it or not VW's intent is to have an upperend of their line to be high powered supercars
Old 05-22-2000, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I agree.....

VW has absolutely no chance of selling cars over $35K in the US, Americans are too "image conscious" to spend that much on the VW name. That's why the Acura models are Hondas in Europe and elsewhere...they know in america people are not going to spend that much $$ on a honda.

Same goes for the new "Concept D" large $50K VW sedan that is coming out in a couple of years....it will fail completely.

NOW, this doesn't mean that it will be rebadged as an Audi or Porsche (Porsche already has it's own version of this car coming out at the same time), but they are going to learn a hard lesson about Americans.

This reasoning is behind the policy of not importing the A3/S3, they don't want to "dilute" the Audi name with an entry level car.<p>Christian J. Long
President - Quattro Club of Florida
Orlando, FL
-----------------------------------
'00 A4 1.8tqsm
'87 944S
'90 Audi 90cs
-----------------------------------
Past Audis:
84 CGT, 85 CGT, 87.5 CGT
90 CQ, 98.5 A4 1.8tsm
Old 05-22-2000, 11:00 AM

So much for VW being the car of the people...
Old 05-22-2000, 11:03 AM

Default So all we need to do is figure out how to fit a W12 in the S4, and we can get 6 sec 0-60 times

Oh... wait a minute... we're already faster than that...
Old 05-22-2000, 11:10 AM

Default Hmm, not necessarily...

Acura, Lexus and Infiniti are what Honda, Toyota and Nissan use to distract Americans from associating an Integra with a Civic and whatnot, but I've never seen a VW sold as an Audi or a Porsche in the U.S. Or anywhere for that matter.Both the Passat and the A6 are available both here and in Europe... I think the model diffrerentiation restriction applies only downward and not upward. (No A3 or S3 over here, for instance.) I've never seen anyone other than the Japanese rebadge their cars for a single market.

I remember reading a <i>Car</i> magazine article a few months ago showing that VW concept "An S-Class for less cash" with the W12 engine and the 928-bubble-***. A friend of mine said it would be a stupid idea since it would kill the A8, but I think Pi&euml;ch wants seriously to make VW a more upscale brand. I don't know where that puts Audi, but I'm not worried about anything bad happening to such a successful turnaround. There will always be a place for Audi.

Audi's allroad wouldn't be a competitor to this thing, either. This thing is a true SUV, not a Subaroid like the Allroad or Bayerische Mistwagen X5. It would compete with Mercedes M-class, and the W12 would be an ML55-killer.

That having been said, I hope VW scraps it. I hate bloody SUVs.<p>-- Fez (one of many?!)
2000 S4 c. green/silver lthr/6spd
Old 05-22-2000, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

something about being in a chipped all-road 6-speed and giving a vett a run for it money...

Quick Reply: The S4 has some compition..Check it out if you have not head already..