S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

S4 Radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S4 Radio

I am pretty sure by now there are many threads discussing the Radio quality on the S4s.
I consider my self an Audi loyal customer since I have owned many models since 1996 (owned 2xA4s, TT, TT cab, and a S4). My latest car, 2001 S4, had radio problem since it was delivered to me and I had to wait 9 months until I got a replacement. In fact I had to call Audi USA and complain about until I got the radio changes. Well, my radio is not better than my old one and again I have to wait again for another replacement (I guess there is a long list of customers like myself waiting for radios). Why is wrong with Audi? Why can't they fix this problem? I just feel that I am loosing my confidence in Audi in delivering trouble free cars like my first A4 model. I have about 18K miles on my car now and I had to bring this car for many mechanical failures as well (doors not locking, gas gauge, trunk door not locking, dome lights not working, A/C issues, and not to mention clicking sounds behind the dash which is driving me crazy.
Mehrdad
Old 01-27-2002, 02:26 PM

Default Just had mine replaced and lights still blinking...[m]

I mentioned the radio problems during my service a couple of weeks ago. So, they ordered a new one, and, to my surprise, it only took about a week to get a new one!

The original problems were:
- Night lights blink off occasionally
- Didn't play some CDs
- Radio station changed when car shut off

With the new radio, everything seems to be fixed except the occasional flickering lights. Ugh. I'm kinda annoyed that they haven't fixed that problem yet.
Old 01-27-2002, 02:34 PM
Elder Member

Default Just carrying on the proud German tradition of ab-fab chassis with hit-and-miss build quality...

Also, Audi service trails far behind MB and BMW, let alone Lexus and Saturn (sic). They managed to put together a good line-up of cars, but apparently didn't plan on being this successful. Thus, they have sold a lot of cars, but didn't prepare to handle the inevitable rash of warranty repair claims (geez, they couldn't look at their own history for guidance).

The S4 is the 3rd German car in our household (BMW 740iL and E36 M3/4 are the other 2) and it has the worst build quality of the three. On the other hand, none of the three are close to the quality of the 3 LS400's and the Q45 we've had in the past (not to mention the customer service level).
Old 01-27-2002, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are occasional flickering lights a precursor to other problems?

I *think* the display on my radio occasionally flickers. I say I think because I have only been able to catch it out of the corner of my eye and by the time I glance down it's fine. Unfortunately I can't stare at the radio and drive at the same time. A passenger said she thought she saw the same thing though, so I don't think I'm imagining it.

My question is, is this an indication that other problems are going to happen later? Or should I just not worry about it since it doesn't bother me that much?

Thanks,
J.T.L.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:00 PM

don't know...not sure if it will get worse, either.
Old 01-27-2002, 03:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1+ year and counting, speaks bunches of their support and quality...

What REALLY surprises me is that they can be so stupid (or simply don't give a sh*t) as to give a customer with a defective radio ANOTHER defective one...

Guess it's just like the MAFs that come DOA, nobody has the time or interest in checking them before they go out the door (what a concept!).

Better to keep paying the shiping plus the time spent by the tech. plus the aggraviation and let down of loyal customers.

Audi you are suckign worse than the Steelers int heir final game!
Old 01-27-2002, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The radio in my S4 works fine. It's the one in my '96 A4 that has NO AM reception.