S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So, I don't have a ride like Papa Smurf's or other `mod wizards' on this board, but...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2002, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I don't have a ride like Papa Smurf's or other `mod wizards' on this board, but...

...there is something to be said for a plain old stock S4 that is running in tip top shape (stock meaning not aftermarket tuned). I am VERY happy with my baby right now. Once my slowly, but surely degrading stock spark plugs began going bad, I had lost my sense for how quick my car was and did not realize it was not up to full power. I hate it when something begins to affect the car so slowly. Unless you live by the vag tool (which I don't because I'm stock), it is sometimes hard to sense a slight, but ever decreasing performance of the car. In the last several weeks, I had been thinking, this car just ain't pulling like it should. I especially notice when I raced a WRX and I was barely pulling on him at the top of third!! I was nose to nose up until the top of third which had me concerned in itself. Except for an exhaust, I believe he was stock. Point is, my car had been sucking eggs for the last couple of months!!! The dealer replaced one plug back a couple of months ago during a routine maintenance and then three more just the other day!! My check engine light only came on recently just before I brought it in and after the WRX saga. I can hear the local WRX guy after that race; "those S4's aren't so fast" Sorry guys, but he'll get his next time against me or another S4!

Along with my suspension and Borla, I am loving the stock torque on my Santorin (wishing it was AMS tuned like my first S4, but for various reasons I probably won't chip this one).

I just had to post, because I am excited about my car again. It's like having a new S4!
Old 03-27-2002, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great to hear D!

Glad to hear your still around from your last mishap as well! I too had gone back to the days of stockness(ECU). Oh well, now I can only romp on 90% of the cars out there =)
Old 03-27-2002, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Crazy huh.

My car is bone stock right now except for the BPV's, DTS, filter, and boost gauge. It's actually faster than I remember it being with factory boost. I'm having trouble bringing myself to de-virginize her (again) at 9400 miles.

Sure I'm going to enjoy breaking people off again, but having a stock car is just cool That, and I can hear myself think over the exhaust note now.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Glad I'm not the only "crazy" one! Just takes a little more experience to milk that full power...

out when stock... mad launches and downshifts most certainly step up to the plate in most cases as Vtec Killer had said!
Old 03-27-2002, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Glad to be around! Keeping it real... real stock with real skilz!
Old 03-27-2002, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default any explanation why your plugs keep going bad?

That's sort of a-typical of even junky modern plugs.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default What plugs did you replace them with? Where can you get them?...

my check engine light just recently came on when i started the car and it sounded a little rough to start out with. I have 17k miles and i wonder if it is time to look into it!?
Old 03-27-2002, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No, after that post and the various comments, I called and asked...

...the service guy (not the tech) said, "it's hard to say." That was just great... a nice and concise answer! I asked if I could stop by and have it tested again in three or four weeks due to the frequency in which this seems to be happening. At least at this point, I now know there was a real loss in power as opposed as perceived so I will be extra astute to any drop in power. He said no problem, bring it by at somepoint and we'll do a diagnostic and wash it up for you. That was good for me.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Most definitely! Check engine light = home vag (if heavily modded) or into the shop!

They replaced them with what ever they had there I'm sure. I began to notice a drop or slight hesitation in the higher rpm range and then gradually down lower. Slugish performance can be a million different things though.
Old 03-27-2002, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default :) I changed plugs at 10K miles. I've played around with a few different types and ended up with

the stock NGK type. I had an NGK set that was a step colder in for about a week. I then pulled them thinking that they were my cause of detonation. Opps, no. I didn't realize that gas went from 92 to 91 octane

Quick Reply: So, I don't have a ride like Papa Smurf's or other `mod wizards' on this board, but...