S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So I drove a WRX last night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2001, 07:38 PM
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nominate for dumbest post of the month...

it's not a POS, it's just a cheaper car. With a bigger turbo, suspension and such...that thing would blow the S4 away. Sure the S4 is a nice car, but the WRX is also a very good car for the money. AWD and turbo power for that price is unbeatable, it's not a POS.
Old 10-02-2001, 07:59 PM

Default Damnit! The sensible side of my brain is winning...

Usually I'd opt for elegance over economy, but my co's stock isn't quite (read 80%) as high as it was a year ago when I bought my S4.

I wouldn't call the rex a "POS 4 banger" - 4 banger, yes. POS, that's debatable. I'd argue that the soob boxer 4 is better than the Audi 1.8T engine (where'd I put that asbestos suit anyway...)

I wouldn't put the soobs in the same class as the Civics though. It's no S2000 either, but Subaru has always been the redheaded stepchild of the automotive industry. They're odd cars, but I wouldn't say they're POS. I've owned several subarus in the past and they've all gone over 150K without any major work. It'll be interesting to see how the WRX holds up long term, but I'm POSative it'll be cheaper in the long run than even an A41.8T...

NM
Old 10-02-2001, 09:08 PM

I'd buy your S4....email me with a price
Old 10-03-2001, 06:01 AM

I'll stick with my Audi :-)
Old 10-03-2001, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What does your company's stock value have to do with anything? You already bought your S4.
Old 10-03-2001, 06:43 AM

Default True - but I don't feel quite so comfy now. (m)

$40K didn't seem like that much a year ago ;-)
As it turns out the S4 was a much better investment - I'll only end up losing 10-20% wish I had bought 10 of them last year instead of just one ;-)
Old 10-03-2001, 07:26 AM

Default What an idiot.... You sound like some BMW owners I know

Some people think the price tag is the actual value to everyone of that particular car. I had cash in hand for an S4, I was waiting for silver 6-speed with Nav to be found. I didn't want a WRX because I thought they were ugly and heard about the cheesey quality. For the hell of it I test drove one. In a second I dropped the waiting for the S4 and jumped on it. WHY?
1) Compare how many US WRXs are running 12's already vs S4s.
2) Let me know if you need help pulling your engine to swap turbos. WRX is much easier to work on for anyone wanting to tune and mod.
3) Aftermarket supplies are everywhere
4) The interior seemed just fine and the seats felt much better than the S4... that's coming from a loaded Lexus 98 LS400 and 2 300ZXTTs.
5) Of course.... the savings. Spending more $ on a car may make you feel like a bigger man, but most millionairs get there with smart purchases. Not onle was it $16K cheaper, but I commute 100 miles a day from my beautiful 130 acres in South Plymouth, Ma into Boston. Savings from gas is a good $1500 a year because every review shows at least 3 MPG more highway and city driving. Mods are cheaper and more plentiful. So let's compare you vs me okay?

+ for me = more play money left over, faster/higher performance car, easier to work on, more available mods, comfortable commuter. More room if my baby boy needs to ride in it for some reason.

+ for you = auto climate control, power seat, nice looking car (depending on who you ask), nice performance with an upgraded chip, and in your opinion a higher status symbol.

Trust me, I weighed the options of both cars when buying. It wasn't a hard decision after driving both. A week later I bought my wife a new loaded 2002 Passat GLX 4MOTION. Another good purchase minus the status.

Your statement was ignorant and if we have to compare bank statements, you'll see I'm not Bill Gates, but an S4 or 2 S4s wouldn't be a problem or even a change in my current lifestlye. I can see reasons to buy an S4 if luxory is your major concern, not tuning and racing on the course, in the dirt and the strip, and you're a dedicated Audi owner... it's a great car. You though I doubt bought it for that, you bought it for the fat head =)
Old 10-03-2001, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Gotcha. But I happen to think that the WRX is one of the most hideous looking automobiles on the...

road. It's up there with the Sunfire & Aztek. I wouldn't buy one just because I wouldn't want women and young children running away from it screaming.

Wrap that performance up in a nice looking package, and Subaru has a home run. But as I see it, they only hit a double.
Old 10-03-2001, 09:09 AM

Default Re: what? trade in your S for that four banger POS?

ok this has got to be the dumbest post ive seen. WRX does not = POS like someone said.

i had the choice between the S4,IS-300,S2000,3-series and the WRX

all of them are nice cars, got to love the interior design on the european cars. performance wise all of them are around the same range.

S4: very nice car, very fast car. (i still like it)

IS300: one of my favorite cars, but everyone over here has it and i dont want to be the same as everyone.

S2000: what more can i say (ohh room is a bit small as well, thats another reason i didnt get it)

3-series: i love the look, but performance falls a bit short of all the others (not a flame, just facts)

so why did i chose the WRX?? b/c its a very good bang for the buck. and potential aftermarket mods are the best out of all of them. the EJ20 enguine has the most potential, capable of going 500 hp if you put the money into it (trust my ive seen some) and its one of the funnest (dotn know if this is really a word lol) cars ive driven. so if you think that a WRX = upgraded Civic then get a life. just b/c you have a more expensive car than someone else doesnt mean it gives you the right to flame their car. if you flame other ppl b/c their car is cheaper then you dont deserve the car your riding in. just remember b4 u flame someone else's car, they couldve had the money to buy your car, but didnt b/c of some particular reasons. (potential, gas mileage, reliability, etc)

not a flame to the audi drivers here, ive been reading your boards from time to time and i have to say you guys are a great group of ppl. very down to earth expect for a few
Old 10-03-2001, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oh please, I suprised your head fits inside your "S4"