S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

So what's this all about? Does this mean you can install and default back to zero miles on...

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what's this all about? Does this mean you can install and default back to zero miles on...

the odometer?<ul><li><a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=33675&amp;item =2479506991&amp;rd=1">http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=33675&amp;item =2479506991&amp;rd=1</a</li></ul>
Old 05-20-2004, 08:11 AM

That would be kinda cool, with the analog clock and euro warning lights.
Old 05-20-2004, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Clusters swaps were common amoung the Jetta crowd to get FIS's (more)

You install the cluster and its set at zero. In theory yes your car would show zero miles. On the negative side you would have to remark that somehow on your title. With VAG you can roll the miles to forward to your current mileage. Or if you were shady 10k back from your real miles. Its a pretty easy swap. Of course all of this milage stuff is illegal. Why can't you roll your miles back now? VAG-Com wont let it nor will any vag computer. A cluster can have its miles changed twice i think up until 50 miles are put on the car, afterwards it locks up so you cant crank it forward. You screw the miles up I am not sure if you can really go back.

Its definately a UK cluster. It has miles on the speedo, and engine temp is in celcius.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just emailed someone I know whos an expert with clusters gonna find out some more info....

Gonna find out if we can do a retro fit with these clusters. If so and I get it to work, we'll get some sort of group buy going and just do a bunch of these up in the NE.

After that the only thing left to protect is the headlights.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i few reasons though that I don't believe this cluster will work...

you might want to look into these before you bid...

like ECU's clusters are very MY sensative.... since this reads the old badge, it might be a version prior to the US getting the S4, ie a 99 S4 cluster, this might mean that pins may be slightly off, minor items like that, I know on my GTi I swapped the cluster and had to be very carefull that I was buying the correct european counterpart.

Another item is that this is an Immobilizer 2 cluster. this is something we don't have in our cars (a big f@%k you Audi for that one) though it comes with the nec. 4 digit pin, I don't know how this will work... even if our cars were set up for an immobizer, 00 and early 01 would have been immobilizer 1 (if it matches VW use during those years) late 01 and 02 would have gone to immobilizer 2. but once again, I don't if this can be used or even turned off, cause otherwise the cluster is going to be looking for a code from the key that is never going to show up.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good feedback, thank you. The imobilizer option was what I was really interested in.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Great! Please keep us all posted on what you find out.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I just know that is the same problem '00 vw owners have.

they can not use an immobilzer 2 or 3 euro cluster in their cars, so they ended up finding some European VW T4 Van that uses the same cluster with out the immobilizer.... thats what leads me to believe that you will need to find a euro cluster that oes not have an immobilzer system,, but I don't believe there is such an item.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've been doing some digging here is what I have....

Aside from emailing some folks that originated the cluster swap game in tdiclub.

I have a MY2000 car, with a Nov 99 build date. I already have the pinouts for the UK cluster. It has immob II which was used in our cars. Immob III didnt come around till mid 2001.

I just spoke with a person at VDO NA, according to him all VDO clusters control the immob function. (waiting for confirmation on this statement) That being the case according to the pin out it has a wire that runs to the key lock cylender in the ignition system. I will probably need a non North American lock cylender which has the chip reader. (and the extra wire to get to cluster) will also need new keys that have immob II capabilities built in. (not sure if ours do or not)

I swap all this stuff out recode the clusters the keys etc, and it just might work. If it does I will drive to Auburn hills and extend my middle finger at all of the advocates who've lied to us about what can and cannot be done to these cars. People who said things like, oh we didnt have the technology to retrofit these cars with immobilizers. They were only available for the 02 a4 and later. Remember that one scene from Me Myself and Irene when hank goes nuts? I will leave a nice steamy one on their front lawn.
Old 05-20-2004, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

:0)

Quick Reply: So what's this all about? Does this mean you can install and default back to zero miles on...