S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Some quick impressions/comments about the 2001 International Car Show in Boston today...(long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2001, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some quick impressions/comments about the 2001 International Car Show in Boston today...(long)

The S4 was not represented, but there was an S6 Avant and an S8 sedan, as well as the new A4 of course. Also giving away some SWEET posters of the racing R8.

Some comments about the other participants:

1- Land Rover's display is incredible - jungle ferns, fog machines, sand and stone flooring. Unfortunately, the new Freelander was underimpressive (just made that one up). Looks great in their brochures/website, but is TINY and cheap-looking in person.

2- Acura MDX continues to appeal to my girlfriend. Still a wait till April/May to get one if you order today (d'oh!). But you guys that have one, dazamm how do you get anyone in the third row of seats? Pass them over the top of the second row? Access/egress back there is sketchy at best...

3- BMW. OK, I know they're probably The car company we love to hate, but wow there were some great cars on display there. The Z8, the M3 convertible, the M5- oh, the M5... The best vehicle they had there? The new "b1g-p1mP1n" X5 4.6is. Have you SEEN this thing?!? 340hp/350 ft-lbs torque out of a 4.6 V-8. 0-60 in 6.2 seconds!!! And did I mention the 14" ventilated front brakes and Pimp Daddy DUBS it rolls with, STANDARD?!? I am not an SUV guy, but I could not stop grinning in that thing...Expect to see them in your favorite rap videos, soon.

4- Most humorous car of the show: the utterly RICED Mazda Protege that Mazda decided to roll out. Enormous APR wing, soft pink-orange metallic paint, stickers galore, and the body slammed so far that I couldn't see the rubber on the top of the rims Mike/Dan/Carmen/anybody, PLEASE bring back a digital pic to post here of that wondrous piece of ...umm...work!

6- Check out that Pontiac concept car with the backwards doors (what do they call that again?) and the triple-exhaust...If you look underneath as it rotates, you'll see that it actually uses none of the three exhausts, but instead has some puny little rusted tailpipe hanging forlornly down in the center of the undercarriage, not even as far as the B-pillars lol...

5- Some nice exotics on display as well...Saleen S7, the Vanquish, the DB7 Vantage, some Grey-Poupon, Livin Lahge Bentleys, etc. Oh, and the 2002 Porsche Turbo. Yum. Most HP in one vehicle at the show? How about a Pontiac Bonneville, putting out 600+ hp? It is the first front-wheel drive production car to exceed 200 mph at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

And I'm spent!