S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

SOOO pissed at AMS

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOOO pissed at AMS

So I got two GIAC chips 93 and 100. So I go to get them installed today. So the installer comes out and tells me that he has some bad news. He tells that AMS did. Was that they first sodered a board down like GIAC, but then they went and freaking expoxie'd it. I couldn't freaking beive it. I have never seen anything like it. What the hell should I do now? Is there any safe epoxie remover that I can use to remove it? Should I contact them and see if they could send me a new ECU that is not molested and a chip seperatly....I'm so pissed of at them!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

thats pretty f-ed up
Old 02-10-2005, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default so you bought an AMS chip from AMS and it's expoxied? Nothing wrong with that...

you planned to put a GIAC chip into your AMS socket?

How would you feel if your car shut off on the highway (or just wouldn't start) because the chip worked itself loose? The exopy seems like a safeguard to me.

I could see you being upset if you bought a race program AMS chip also, and then you couldn't put that in, but it sounds like you're trying to mix things up.

[edit - I had originally wrote the following, but that's not the bottom part, it's the middle part]
The bottom half of the socket has some encryption type stuff in it so that it will only work with the chips that are designed for it. If you stick a GIAC chip in your AMS socket, I'd be very surprised if you car even starts.

Just my thoughts
Old 02-10-2005, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

???
Old 02-10-2005, 12:28 PM
Elder Member

Default doh. well if it makes you feel better...the reason they did this was likely because *edit*

socketed chips like giac ten to fall out and cause problems. some chippers put a block of foam on top of it like a spring to get some stack compression. i guess the AMS installer decided to use a nonconductive epoxy. as to a suggestion...maybe electrical grade contact cleaner? not sure what type of epoxy you are talking about. btw i dont' take resp. for messing up your ecu if you follow that suggestion. you could always send it back to ams and have them "de-chip" it for you.

oh btw, reminder about the scorpion when youre twin1 comes in!
Old 02-10-2005, 12:29 PM

Default Jeez....sorry to hear that, man. I don't know of any epoxy remover...

If you can't get that taken care of I do have an extra ECU sitting here on my desk. Its an M-box, and I'll be willing to sell it if you want. Just let me know...

Best of luck...take care,

Pete
Old 02-10-2005, 12:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think he means the socket is epoxied to the board.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default not that unreasonable, imo

besides, ostensibly an AMS chipped box is worth more for resale than a stock box

buy a stock one, sell the AMS
Old 02-10-2005, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default the socket is a socket ... offeres the ability to connect and disconnect /change chips

that's why is a socket so it can be removed , not a straight up sordered chip.
i would def ask them to send the **** back like i gave it to them ..a new ecu.
Old 02-10-2005, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default ok, well then just pretend it's not a socketed chip that AMS sells...

I'm assuming he's saying the two parts of the socket are epoxied together. Well, pretend that AMS just sells a non-socketed chip. That's what you'd end up with.

He's making an unreasonable assumption that he was going to be able to use AMS' lower socket half with his GIAC upper half. Let's say it was an APR chip that was on the board - there'd be no expectation of putting a GIAC top half to it since the APR is not a socket setup. So why assume any different with AMS?

Quick Reply: SOOO pissed at AMS