S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Stage 1 on the cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:33 PM
rek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 on the cheap

Hello all,

I have been a long time troller on these forums. I have had my 2001 for 4 years, and the warrenty is up. Up until now, its been bone stock. Well, I have the itch to chip the bad boy, but I am on kind of a tight budget right now. I am not even going to ask what chip to get, being a troller, I know better than that (I'm thinking APR or GIAC btw). My real question is, what other upgrades do I need (if any) to go with the chip? e.g. Do I NEED a stronger throttle body boot (Samco or even APR BiPipe kit) or stronger diverter valve? Or should I just wait to see if one of those parts breaks to replace?

Let me be clear, I am asking this question not to be cheap, but to get the best bang for my buck. However, it is EXTREMELY important to me that I am smart and safe about this as well, which I why I am turning to you. Are there any other essentials that you think would go with a stage 1?

Thanks for your help,
Ross

PS I live in the Miami, so in the summer it gets blazing hot (high 90s). Are there any other concerns I need to worry about due to the excessive heat?
Old 12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I personally wouldn't be caught dead with out a spare TBB in the car, and spare BPV's in the garage.

I would reccomend probably a fresh set of 710N's if you've got 'em.

Since you're being 'frugal', i'd also reccomend a Darnintake hole in your air box.

As for the heat, the low temp after run switch is a very nice mod. Cheap and easy too!
Old 12-07-2005, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

bipipe = no TBB worries...its cheap (~300 delivered) versus breaking down somewhere
Old 12-07-2005, 02:45 PM
rek

Default Re: I personally wouldn't be caught dead with out a spare TBB in the car, and spare BPV's in the gar

Yes, I definately to not want to be stuck anywhere. How does the APR BiPipe compare to a reinforced TBB like the Samco or AMS one??

Also, do you think the OEM 710N is as effective as some of the aftermarket solutions out there?? (eg. Hyperboost)

Thanks for the suggestions!

Ross

PS I would rather spend the money now that have to keep replacing parts
Old 12-07-2005, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 710Ns are fine. You can stick with OEM TBB too. Just check it. Do what Reef says and keep a spare...

TBB in the glove box. They are $12 and you can change one in about 20 minutes with a flathead screwdriver. I've only torn one in 62k miles of owning the car and I've been Stage 2/2+ the whole time. You'll save $300 plus labor.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The Bi-Pipe is prolly the best option (opinions differ), but it is expensive.

I've been stage one on a stock TBB for 1.5 years, and it's in fine shape still (knock on wood)

The 710N is probably (again with opinion) the best BPV solution for our cars. You can get a pair for 50 bucks at any VW dealer. They last a long time, and will hold the big boost.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Because you live in a hot climate, you might want to consider upgrading your ICs (even though you ..

are only going stage 1). This is assuming you have already done diverter valves and bipipe (or have spare TBB on hand).. upgrading your ICs will help to prevent heatsoak and power loss.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Like reefer said, spare BPV's and TBB should be fine. I put many chipped

miles on my stock TBB with no problems. Get a spare FHose too.

The exhaust sound chipped may be a tad bit annoying, but you can live with that until you can open things up. Try and find a used Borla or Neuspeed for cheap.

APR may not be a bad choice since you are on a limited budget (I didn't say that) their tuning TENDS to be a tad bit less aggressive. If you think your budget will change down the road and K04's are in your future than maybe GIAC would be better since that is that last chip you will need if you go homebrew

Stocks brakes will be fine for the street. I was never a fan of the stock suspension, after I was chipped this became more evident.

Good luck ..
Old 12-07-2005, 02:58 PM

Default This guy is on the verge of bankruptcy :) Don't push him over ..

JK
Old 12-07-2005, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

LOL, I think you mean that you "lurk" not "troll". Trolling is a bad thing ;-)

Quick Reply: Stage 1 on the cheap