S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Stage 3....ish

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 3....ish

In 2003 I got an A4 2.8Q w/Tip. Chipped the tranny and enjoyed the car after upgrading to a Koni suspension and BBS wheels. Since then i've read about ridiculous HP mods for the 1.8T, but never thought of a 4 cylinder as being smooth enough running on the street for my tastes. I read about these "ridiculously" expensive S4s. Due to the initial costs, and modding costs, as well as how unproven stage 3 was in'04 (for long-term use), I opted to pass.

About 4 months ago, I happened upon a good deal for a used S4 (2000, 160K miles), with dying turbos, but a ton of maintenance done to it. This included timing belt and a tranny rebuild. The A4 was sold cheap to my bro, and the S4 purchased.

Turbos died in a white cloud, and I parked the car. 3 weeks of research culminated in what I consider a gigantic purchase from VAST.

I couldn't get a solid answer on safely using K04s and stock everything else, except the already done APR ECU, so I convinced the wife on the only "safe" alternative:

Borg-Warner K04-026 turbos
Turbo hard piping and hoses
440cc injectors (using 4 bar FPR)
VAST software
VAST piggie pipes
AWE intercoolers (ER seemed overkill for DD)
RS4 (modded) airbox
Converted RS4 (Hitachi) MAF and housing
VAST snub
180 degree thermostat
710N DV (already on car)

All of which has arrvied, save the ECU and airbox, which are en-route.

The Tiptronic tranny is supposedly GIAC chipped, but still ignores requests to hang 1st gear past 1400 or so RPM, unless it's WOT. It also will not downshift to 1st unless RPMs are below like 1800 unless WOT, either.

I'm aware the tranny will need another rebuild, or at least a rebuilt torque converter if I drive it hard often.

Have I missed anything other than B-pipe, Y pipe, and DTS/mounts?

The work has just started at a local shop here in Louisville, Ky. I have pics, but my Fuji camera seems to like 5MB Jpg files. I am too lazy to reduce quality. Perhaps i'll crop and compress em later....
Old 09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

clutch?
Old 09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I don't get it. You want to know how to safely use K04s....... after you dropped the car off

with Vast goodies? You could have put K04s with inlet pipes in and had EVERYTHING else be stock, and not damage them. You are worried about killing your turbos, but your going stage 3 with a TIP. I am not a TIP expert, but I'm pretty sure most will tell you that your tranny won't last long, and it will have to be rebuilt with beefed up internals. If you are really worried about cost, you should have purchased a 6 speed w/o dying turbos.

You also made a fundamental mistake in buying a car with dying turbos that already had the TB done, since the majority of the cost in a TB job is tearing apart the front end. <shrug>
Old 09-16-2008, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bolts right up to tiptronic?
Old 09-16-2008, 06:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You need to update your sig sir!
Old 09-16-2008, 06:45 PM

Whoah.. you're right, thanks!.. done :-)
Old 09-16-2008, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

How do you like the Pro Streets after having them for awhile?
Old 09-16-2008, 07:09 PM

Default K04s not the issue....

It's using stock airbox, DPs, injectors, etc, and an APR ECU that is the issue. K04s don't map like the stock K03s. Running rich, then lean, with excess exhaust side heat seems worse than spending the proper money to run the turbos conservatively, and with proper mapping and cooling.

Oh, and the vehicle has an AWE cat back, CV boots, Tie rod ends that were all done less than a year prior. couple that with RH wheels, and a DVD/MP3/SD Panasonic head unit (with remote electronics and A/V I/O setup), as well as new cross drilled rotors and pads, and I couldn't pass it up for what I paid.

I am still reeling (and not done adding) the cost of the repair/upgrades, but view my choice as being one of long term drivability with the ability to occasionally pull a grin on my face.

As said- yes, I am well aware that a tranny upgrade or major repair will be forced on me pretty early in if I decide to pund the right pedal the wrong way. Fortunately, i've already gotten over 60% of the red outta my neck.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default But you just purchased what looks like a stg 3 kit? So why are you nervous about injectors?

You would have been perfectly fine with running K04s and a chip. I'm doing it and a lot of other people have been doing it. I've logged my car and it runs great. The stock airbox is what most have on here, but they cut a hole in the bottom to alleviate the low pressure the forms inside under WOT.

I can't remember what you said you had, but unless you plan on making some major HP, the RS4 y-pipe is definitely not needed. You'll want to get some piggie pipes if you don't already have downpipes. People swear by the Bipipe, but just as many have a Samco or 034 throttle body boot.

Use good synthetic oil, proper warm up and cool down, and I'm sure the car will last a long time..... until the tranny blows.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:36 PM

Default Re: The Prostreets

Put them in (well KTan put them in), loved them. Lowered them a little more, don't love them. I went a little too low and it got bouncy like tracksports and I can't stand it. I'll be raising it up soon again for snow season anyway, and won't go as low next summer.

In hindsight, I kind of wish I had gone with the Vogtland GT setup from startup. I had stiffer springs before in the back and really liked how the car rotated with those.

I definetly think the Eibachs are a great setup if the car is set at a conservative ride height, they really smoothed out the small bumps in the road nicely!

Quick Reply: Stage 3....ish