S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

STFA already and did what was recommended to others "engine cranks, but won't start"

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2007, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STFA already and did what was recommended to others "engine cranks, but won't start"

yesterday afternoon a friend came by with his S4 and new rims for me to see, when we go outside i told him he should hear the sound of my bad a/c compressor... so i started the car, again disgusted with the sound, set the turbo timer to 5 minutes and removed key from the ignition... about 5 minutes after the car shut down, a UPS man came by and saw that i had my hood up and said "its an Audi, the only time you should have the hood up is to admire the engine" me and my buddy both laughed and said this is how we live, so i told him to listen to why my hood was up, engine cranked but wouldn't start, voltage was good on both instrument gauge and the turbo timer... i thought i might be out of gas (gas light came on about 10 minutes before i got home the night before) so i filled the tank, its now over a 1/4 tank and still won't start...

things i've done so far:
-checked fuses for fuel pump & ecu, they were fine
-ran VAG and pulled 2 faults for the engine, O2 sensor, and passenger side EGT sensor (thank god its the passenger side, driver side was replaced about two months ago and it was a major PITA) but these codes have been coming back like once a month or so after i clear them
-checked connections for the two ignition control modules on top of the airbox, they were fine (one is about 3 months old, don't remember which bank)

right now i just disconnected the battery and i want to see if this will do anything for me...

if this doesn't work, what should the next steps be???

TIA!!!

please help get the S running again, i'm getting the a/c compressor fixed next weekend, and doing a TB job the weekend after... car has 86K
Old 04-07-2007, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Try disconnecting the turbo timer
Old 04-07-2007, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: STFA already and did what was recommended to others "engine cranks, but won't start"

Disconnect the fuel return line, use the vag to turn on your fuel pump, I think it's the output test for the engine. That or just crank the sucker over.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default alright, well, i looked at all the spark plugs on the driver side, they were all wet after trying

to get it to start again, which, from what i've read somewhere else, means no spark... its like 30 degrees outside right now, so i wasn't about to look at the passenger side (removing that airbox is a PITA!!!)

i also swapped out my ECU's and NOTHING, car will still crank but won't run...

TheSkinFox, i tried what you said last night, nothing...
Old 04-07-2007, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

2nd that, sounds like something may be a little funky. How log have you had the TT?
Old 04-07-2007, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i've had the turbo timer for a year, works fine... tried starting the car without the timer...

connected, still doesn't start...
Old 04-07-2007, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hrm not sounding good. Do you have spark?
Old 04-07-2007, 08:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default not sounding good like how? lol, like the engine is ****ed or just something wrong with the

ignition?

i do not have spark from what i can tell, car cranks fine, but after the last time i cranked it, i removed all the driver side spark plugs and they were all wet and smelled like gas, which is telling me no spark... unless they are so damn soaked that the cylinder won't ignite...

i hope its something stupid... keeping my fingers crossed...
Old 04-07-2007, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Well it sounds like something with either the ECU, wiring, or ignition. My best guess

since the was running and you used the turbo timer, would've been that but you said that you took that out of the loop so...

1)OK does your car have immobilizer?
Do not answer for your own security sake, bu if it does it may be something with that since the car was running without the key in it.

2) Do you have a socketed aftermarket ECU like GIAC, APR, etc?? Could be a bad solder joint, eeprom not seated correcty or just a bad ECU all together. Do you now someone that has the same box letter that you can swap with?

3) Does the car sound normal when it is turning over AKA all the belts are still intact?
Old 04-07-2007, 09:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I have the turbo timer set to run for 1 minute and 30 seconds

after the ignition is shut off... Had it that way for the whole year I had the car...

I have APR software and first I tried switching back to stock program. Didn't work... Then I swapped the whole ECU for my stock ECU and still didn't work... That was the last thing I tried before my fingers got numb cause it was freezing outside...

Either tomorrow or monday I'm going to check the pass. Side plugs and see how they look... Maybe I can narrow it down to one bank...

Oh, all belts are good, I found a reference point on all pulleys and looked after each crank to see if they turned and they did... Timing belt is still in one piece also...

With these cars, its probably something so damn stupid, lol

Thanks again for your responses and the help buddy!!!

Quick Reply: STFA already and did what was recommended to others "engine cranks, but won't start"