S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Still Having Problems Getting Your USB VAG Cable To Work With Lemmiwinks...Try This...It Worked 4 Me

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still Having Problems Getting Your USB VAG Cable To Work With Lemmiwinks...Try This...It Worked 4 Me

First, let me state that I am a REGISTERED VAG USB owner, have been for three years. So, I don't know if this will work with the VAG shareware version.

I downloaded Lemmiwinks awhile back and kept having problems creating the serial USB driver that Lemmwinks needed. I tried all the un-install/re-install instructions on this board. But nothing worked until I did the following. Maybe this approach has been documented, but I don't remember reading any instructions posted in this forum that included this information, but I could be wrong (I'm sure Doc-Slow will make sure to point out my ERRORS).

Anyway, if you follow my instructions you will definitely create a USB serial interface that will allow your USB VAG cable and Lemmiwinks to communicate. It worked for me and I was able to have Lemmiwinks read my AGGRESSIVE IMOLA Tip's ECU for the FIRST time via my USB VAG cable.

USB Serial Interface Set-Up
===========================

If your computer produces the error "device not recognized" when u download the Lemmiwinks zip file and try to establish a USB Serial interface with your VAG USB cable, then do the following and this problem will be rectified.

First, go to the FTDIChip home page
www.ftdichip.com) and download from the Utility section, a file named USB View. Then go to the Documents section and download
Windows_XP_INstallation_Guide. Having these tools is very important to those who are having trouble establishing a USB Serial driver. When trouble shooting, it will give you a clue!

The USB View utility should be downloaded to your "C:\ Drive" and installed. Then, plug your VAG USB cable into your laptop's USB port, BEFORE you run USB View. Now, run USB View and the display window will highlight the "key" data that you need.

That data being the PID (product ID) and VID (vendor ID). The PID for my VAG-USB is 0403 and the VID is FA20. I'll assume that this fairly standard for the VAG product line, but that's why it's important to run USB View - this will confirm those values for you. These two pieces of data are KEY in having the Lemmiwinks serial device driver identify your VAG USB cable. You can ONLY see this info via USB View (as far as I could ascertain).

After that step, you must ADD your VAG-COM PID and VID settings in the INF (FTDIBUS,FTDIPORT) files that you extracted from your Lemmiwinks zip file. These files should be in the same directory as your Lemmiwinks zip file (unless u extracted them to a different directory).

Now, if u don't have separate USB ports, or if u have two, but they act like ONE (like my COMPAQ laptop - go figure) when it comes to VAG, then u must uninstall the VAG USB, as many instruction guides on this board have identified. Then I suggest that pull the VAG USB cable out (of the USB port) and immediately put back in. WIndows XP will then produce the new hardware wizard and then you MUST ELECT to SELECT the (Lemmi USB Serial) driver manually by SEARCHING in the Directory where you downloaded your Lemmi files (from the zip file download). The Windows XP hardware wizard will be LOOKING for the Lemmi (FTDIBUS, FTDIPORT) INF files by DEFAULT.

If you followed these directions then Windows XP will AUTOMATICALLY find the Lemmiwinks USB Serial driver and install it. Just let the Windows XP Hardware wizard do the work.

After the wizard has finished, you should check the Device Manager to make sure that the USB Serial Converter has been created under Universal Serial Bus Converters and a USB Serial Port has been created under Ports.

If they are there - then success! - you created those elusive (at least they were to me - until yesterday) USB Serial device drivers.

* Note: The KEY to this WHOLE thing is to ADD the PID and VID to the Lemmiwink INF files. There are EXISTING PID and VID strings (descriptions) in those files, for OTHER DEVICES, but NOT FOR VAG COM USB. So,copy an existing PID/VID string from the INF file and change the PID and VID settings to those that you found via USB View. For the lazy, you can copy my settings and see if that works for you.