S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

stock radio effed up, COMPUSTAR issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock radio effed up, COMPUSTAR issue?

Hi everyone. I have had a problem with my 2001 S4 Bose stereo ongoing since I bought it 3+years ago. I hear intermittant static/crackling through the driver door speaker with the radio on or off, or cd playing. Even with the head unit off I hear the noise. I've inspected everything and can't find a short. Eventually, the stock bose headunit fries and completely shuts down. I've had the stereo replaced by the dealer 3 times in the last three years. Last time it was at the dealer, they rashed my effing 19's! The last time I demanded they actually fix the problem. They replaced the stereo again but I still hear static. Then they replace the bose amp, and the driver's speakers, but I still hear static, bring it back again. They've traced the lines and inspected them (or so they say) and even replaced the stereo again. They can't figure it out. Now they are blaming it on the compustar alarm wiring (again). WTF? Obviously they can't figure it out or aren't even bothering to. The alarm works fine, and Compustar is telling me if the alarm works the wiring is fine, and there is no shared circuitry. How TF do I fix this problem. My car has been in the shop for a total of 9 months in the last two years for this issue (multiple visits, a few months each time). (I know it sits and they don't really work on it, sweet!) The local alarm/stereo place I discussed the issue with just wants to put a couple thousand dollar amp and components in since "that will fix the problem". The last thing I want is to spend money on this stereo system. I will never buy anything with Bose ever again. At this point, from now on, its going to be a BMW in my garage, this car has been broken into and stolen and combining that with this dumb stereo issue I will never buy an Audi product again. Now that I'm done with my rant, can anyone suggest anything other then "check the wires in the door"? I've done all that and can't find any flaws with the wiring from the speakers into the loom next to the drivers seat and hood release panel area. Since I can't just turn the radio off to make the noise go away, it truly is driving me crazy. What do I do?
Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default that paragraph is intimidating.

take out your damn alarm system and see if the sound disappears. if not, go get your BMW.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get the BMW, clearly audi is junk
Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

see ya later.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:27 AM

Default Re: get the BMW, clearly audi is junk

Agreed. I've never seen such poor craftmanship, engineering, customer service, etc. in such an overpriced product. Perusing this website for 5 minutes teaches one that basically everything in an Audi fails between 80-100k miles. And Certified Pre Owned inspections are a joke for Audis. Nothing like driving home to find a bubble on the sidewall of 2 of your "new" pirellis. Then the dealer blames it on you driving home from the dealership (must have hit a curb, right?), except the bubble is on the effing spare tire. Explain that thorough Audi inspection...
Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 AM

Default Re: that paragraph is intimidating.

I know, its a complex paragraph with a lot of big words. I don't have time to remove the alarm system, just because Audi can't fix their own cars much less design any actual working security measures.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i hear ya. maybe in the mean time you'd like to squeeze a little more power out of your audi?

audis can pick up a lot of horsepower with a simple port and polish of the intake manifold. its actually really easy to do, all you need is about 2 cups of fine grit sand. just unscrew the oil cap and pour the 2 cups in and fire up in the engine, you should see an increase in horsepower in just minutes after application.

let us know if you need some help finding the oil cap (the spot where you fill the engine up with oil)
Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

What the hell do pirellis have to do w/ audi. Why did you buy pirellis anyways?
Old 06-12-2008, 10:43 AM

It sounds like a RFI (radio frequency interference) problem.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:44 AM

Default Re: i hear ya. maybe in the mean time you'd like to squeeze a little more power out of your audi?

Yeah, maybe I should try that, hopefully the new sounds will out drown the bose system flaws. Excellent suggestion. I'll post my results on this mod for the benefit of everyone on this forum.

Quick Reply: stock radio effed up, COMPUSTAR issue?