S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Suspension Advice: STaSIS or H&R C/Os for daily driving on bad roads. . .

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Advice: STaSIS or H&R C/Os for daily driving on bad roads. . .

I STFA'd, but would like your recommendations whether I should get STaSIS Street Sports or Track Sports with Touring Valving (600/700 springs?) or H&R Streets.

I hate everything about stock handling and want to be able to take curves fast without my little S4 sedan hog squealing all over the place. However, I don't plan to track it and it is my daily driver for both in-town and highway commutes in the SF Bay Area, where the roads are absolute crap. I dodge deep potholes, streets with missing pavement, beer bottles, homeless people, etc. in San Francisco three days a week. Two days a week I have a 190 mile RT highspeed (80+ mph) commute on a bumpy and rutted highway (which is actually good for Bay Area standards). (In some places the bumps are so bad that the whole car feels like one of those vibrating/massaging seats.)

I was about to get the STaSIS Streets, but STaSIS said although they are much better than stock, I should get the Tracks with Touring Valving because I would quickly find that I wanted better control.

Your help is much appreciated.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For your use, I'm sure you'll be happy with H&R.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After 5 days on my H&Rs...

I highly recommend them! I live in Ohio where with perhaps the exception of Michigan, the roads some of the worst in the country.

Highspeed clover-leafs are no problem.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:21 AM

Default I'm super happy with my H&R's - I drive the same type of stuff in Philly

the first trip i took with them on, i was laughing the whole way... wish i would have done this a year or so back...

can't compare them to stasis though, sorry
Old 11-12-2003, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default H&Rs for sure, but I don't understand...

why you'd want to drive fast on public roads but not plan on hittin gthe track where it's safer for you and every one else?

Also, simply by buying better tires and adjusting the pressures you can eliminate a lot of the squealing you're hearing. Even w/coilovers noisy tires are always noisy.

At any rate, for what you're asking I'd look into a mtached sping/shock combo as well. It doesn't have to be coilovers.

-KJ
Old 11-12-2003, 09:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Owned a Stasis combo or two and now H&R.

If you are not going to track H&Rs are my recommendation. If you go Stasis skip the Koni-based green Streetsports and go with a Tracksport combo. Call Ryan(Stasis) for suggestions here as they are very helpful.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Posted answer below...
Old 11-12-2003, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: H&Rs for sure, but I don't understand...

I am really not concerned about the noise. I said "squeal" because that captures the stock S4's pig-like handling characteristics. I want to reduce body roll and understeer and improve dampening.

Also, I'm no menace on the road, if that's what you are suggesting, but I do like to go fast and want the car's handling to match its Stage II power.
Old 11-12-2003, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ride quality is very subjective...

I got track sports 600/700 2 months ago and have generally been very pleased. My daily commute is on 280->85->237 (for the Bay Area folks) which are fairly good in terms of road quality so my commute is comfortable. Although, when I'm in SF on weekends, I can really feel the stiffness of the suspension going over ruts, potholes, etc. I actually don't mind the roughness too much (although sometimes I feel bad for the car when it bangs over some of the bumps) but a couple times I was apologetic to my passengers. In general the track sports are very stiff but not punishing. The great advantage about the track sports over the H&R's that I've seen is how neutral the handling has become. Also with the track sports, you have your choice of a wide range of spring rates. Maybe you'd want to go for a lighter spring rate?

Ultimately though, ride quality is *very* subjective. If possible I would get a ride in all the suspension choices you're considering and then make a decision. I don't know where you are in the Bay Area, but if you're on the peninsula I'd be happy to give you a ride.

rishiS4
Old 11-12-2003, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Suspension isn't going to fix what you hope it's going to fix.

Quick Reply: Suspension Advice: STaSIS or H&R C/Os for daily driving on bad roads. . .