S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Suspension Upgrade Recommendations (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-1999, 08:52 AM
Drew

Default Suspension Upgrade Recommendations (long)

In my opinion the stock suspension in the S4 is a bit too soft for me. There is too much body roll and it seems a bit loose in higher speed performance driving. As a result, I am interested in upgrading the suspension. Obviously the options are 1) springs only, 2) springs and shocks, 3) coilovers. I would be interested in the pros/cons of each of these from anyone who has first hand experience either with their S4 or a previous A4. I know that not too many people have had a chance to modify their S4's yet, but I know Corey S went with Vortrag coilovers, and I believe someone on the forum has gone with MTM/Eibach springs. I plan to do appx. 4 high speed driving (track) events per year and maybe a couple of autox events. What setup do people recommend? The cost/benefit analysis is relevant for me as well, I would love to go to coilovers but given my driving plans do I really need to spend the $2,500? Are springs enough? How do they perform with the stock shocks? If I want springs and shocks who should I talk to? Thanks in advance!

Drew
Old 11-15-1999, 09:10 AM
Nate Sammons

Default MTM/Eibach Springs

I got the MTM/Eibach springs (with the stock shocks) for my S4. Disclaimer: I don't work for MTM, Eibach or Champagne Motors (the tuner), and I'm not a professional driver, or even a particularly experienced one. Just a driver that likes to have fun and go around the track once in a while.

My reasoning for getting the springs is this: I wanted to get rid of (or at least greatly reduce) the body roll I was seeing with the stock setup. I plan on doing just a few track events per year, and mainly driving on streets for fun. I didn't want a suspension that was really stiff, just wanted to reduce body roll.

I talked to Larry at Champagne Motors about it, and he said that Hoppen was recomending just upgrading the springs to get rid of the roll. So, I had that done. At the same time, I had the MTM Stage 2 upgrade (chip + exhaust) installed, which will also affect how things run. In addition to reducing roll, I was also worried that the stock suspension would be inadequate with the extra power from the chip an exhaust upgrade.

I've driven about 250 miles on the new suspension, and it's noticibly stiffer and rougher than stock. It's not bad or anything, it's just stiffer. On really crappy roads, it's not too forgiving. Body roll is *greatly* reduced. It'll still roll, but it corners much, much flatter than stock. My tires are now definately the limiting factor on cornering speeds.

I'd really like to get together with other people who have stock or modified S4s (especially people who did coil-overs or springs+shocks) to compare...

-nate
Old 11-15-1999, 12:18 PM
deutsch

Default Re: MTM/Eibach Springs

Be prepared to replace your Eibachs yearly. They go soft.
Old 11-15-1999, 12:23 PM
Bob Hamme

Default Re: MTM/Eibach Springs

I too have the MTM chip in my S4 (WOW). I ordered the springs today so I don't have any feedback yet but be assured I will let you know. I am wondering how the exhaust "fit" is, I wouuld appreciate any feedback on that- Bob-
Old 11-15-1999, 12:49 PM
FYI

Default Re: Suspension Upgrade Recommendations (long)

If you use stock shocks and just do springs be careful. I would never reccommend doing an unmatched upgrade. If the springs and the shock are not matched properly, you could be very unhappy with ride quality. I've seen that before.
For the price/value of the S4, it's better to do it well.
Old 11-15-1999, 01:45 PM
George

Default MTM exhaust

My MTM exhaust fits perfectly ie. no rattles, leaks etc. The sound is very quiet but I can feel an increase (small) in power.
Old 11-16-1999, 05:14 AM
Ned

Default MTM matched the springs to the shocks

They felt the dampening was sufficient for a street driven vehicle. For a more aggressive application, MTM does offer an entire package.

Ned
Old 11-16-1999, 09:13 AM
but...

Default Re: MTM matched the springs to the shocks

How aggressive a spring rate and how roll resistant can you make a spring to a standard OEM valved shock that was produced for mass production comfort (a.k.a. non-enthusiasts).
It seems that every time I've driven one of these spring only upgrades in an A4 sport suspension, you can hardly notice much less roll at all. So far, reviews and my own personal S4 driving experience vs. M3s show that the suspension is not as aggressive. Adding only a slightly more aggressive spring rate will barely reduce body roll.
Seems a waste to me.
Old 11-16-1999, 10:04 AM
Nate Sammons

Default I've noticed MUCH less roll...

Since the springs were put on, body roll has definately been greatly reduced. I'd like to drive an S4 with a full spring/shock kit and a coil-over to compare, though.

-nate