S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

For those with IC misters did they help alot? anyone tried putting a mister after the throttle body

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2001, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those with IC misters did they help alot? anyone tried putting a mister after the throttle body
Old 09-21-2001, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

"after the throttle body" WTF??
Old 09-21-2001, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

exactly, WTF?...that would be considered water INJECTION, not IC misting
Old 09-21-2001, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yes, misters make a noticeable difference

i recently wired up my misters so they're activated by the esp switch. (I don't have esp though, I just bought the switch from my dealer)

funny story:
When I wired it up the other day, I grounded the relay on a ground terminal under the dash, it was labeled "diesel". it worked fine in my garage. then when I went for a test drive, the misters didn't work. GRRRRR. so after thinking about it for a minute, I figured that the ground terminal i used is for heating the glowplugs on the TDI in europe, and it only gives a ground when the ignition is on and the engine is off. Sure enough, I turn off the engine and then it worked! hah. so i switched it to a real ground and it works normal now.
Old 09-21-2001, 06:19 PM

Default Yes i know it sounds wierd but.......

The guy who used to be the GM at Audi here suggested it to me. A very fine spray introduced after the TBB would be evapoarted instantly due to the heat. But when water evaporates it carries away heat with it as well. I am strongly thinking about an actual intercooler mister setup
Old 09-21-2001, 07:07 PM

Default Forgive my ignorance, but what are IC misters for?

Is this a performance mod or a reliability mod?
Old 09-21-2001, 07:29 PM

Default Do you mean water injection ?

IC misting is where you spray water onto the surface of the intercooler(s) to cool them and hence the charge air down. This helps reduce heat soak and also increases the efficiency of the intercoolers.

Water injection is what you describe i.e. misting water into the air intake. A UK company called aquamist (http://www.aquamist.co.uk) specializes in this technology.

Both have similar effects, however, water injection has the potential to better reduce cylinder temperatures and thus reduce the chance of detonation.

Water injection may be a better approach (or at least simpler) than fitting a FMIC to the S4 which often requires either a different bumber or hacking the existing one.
Old 09-21-2001, 07:41 PM

Default Both...

Sort of depends on what you want from them. If you are suffering heat soak then they can reduce this and the potential for detonation caused by running high boost with excessive intake air temperatures. A side effect will also be that your car performs better running in high ambient temperatures.

Alternatively, if you are not heat soaked then adding misters will cool the charge air down even further which helps performance (colder air = denser air = more power). Additionally, if the charge air temps are lower you could also conceivably crank up the boost more without detonating.
Old 09-21-2001, 09:05 PM

Sounds like a can't miss upgrade
Old 09-21-2001, 09:19 PM

www.seinesystems.com - It was in Super Street no less

Quick Reply: For those with IC misters did they help alot? anyone tried putting a mister after the throttle body