S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

To those that installed the Koni shocks without the aluminum ring (bushing) on the fronts...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default To those that installed the Koni shocks without the aluminum ring (bushing) on the fronts...

I know some of you have left out the bushing in order to get adequate drop in front.

Or perhaps you left it out because you have a 2001 A4/S4 that has the newer flat style front spring perches (as opposed to the older basket type) that will not seat into the shock body's provided bushing all the way.

Several people had theories on why it was not a good idea to leave them out. Made enough sense. Still not convinced? You really want the front lower at any cost huh?

Well, I called Koni North America today and left a message regarding my concerns. My call was returned 10 minutes later from Gordon, one of their technical advisors. He basically said this: The aluminum ring (bushing as I call it) distributes uniform forces on the open-ended snapring on the shock body. Without the bushing, the snapring is subjected to uneven forces mostly at the snapring's edges which can create twisting forces that can stress the metal. It can create a prying effect that although may not cause failure during short term normal driving, it may result in collapse of the front suspension components if the snapring is dislodged over time or under extreme loads of more aggressive driving. It was engineered by Koni and shipped with the shocks for a reason.

He warned me not to install the shocks without them as I had planned on doing. This is a representative of Koni who is not trying to sell me something that is saying this. I don't know about you, but I'm convinced.

Just thought I'd share for everyone's safety.

If you have anymore questions, contact Gordon Benson at Koni NA at 859-334-3371 or 859-586-4100
Old 06-19-2001, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks, do you have any reports on how the koni's handle?

The dampers are A4 2.8 specific, but can't be a great deal in difference, the weights are close.(curb weight 3494lbs a4 2.8/3593lbs s4)
Old 06-19-2001, 09:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default koni's together with the intrax MC's have been excellent so far...

performance is everything I expected from a suspension upgrade without sacrificing the ride.

most impressive on hard sweeping onramps and highway undulations. car feels more tied down.

only minor complaint is the higher than expected front drop which are currently being addressed by SPP customer service from Eric.
Old 06-20-2001, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This needs to be repeated and emphasized. Get your bushing installed immediately!

The retaining ring HAS to be there. Or your front suspension will fail risking life and limb!
Because chances are only one side will collapse while it is being loaded heavily while cornering hard. Not a good time for this to happen!

You can also ask Lee Grimes at KoniNA about this.

Note: Larry you sure yours are aluminum? The sets I've seen they are galvanized steel.