S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Ticket for "blue headlights."

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2001, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Ticket for "blue headlights."

I was in Irvine, CA last night, and I was pulled over. The officer cited me for having "blue headlight bulbs," and tried to tell me that my HID headlights were illegal. I tried telling him that they were not, but he didn't believe me. The officer was quite rude, and had a major superiority complex. Everytime I tried to defend myself, he'd come up with some wise-*** remark. He even made me late to see x-ricer run with the S2K. Great... ;-)

So, he gave me the ticket regardless of my pleading. On the ticket, I was fined for VC 26101 - Unapproved Light Modifying Devices. Now, he also marked this as a moving violation, and not correctable. How can this be? He surely wasn't in any mood to explain it to me. I would have thought that things such as light bulbs would
be correctable? Oh well...

Do you guys have any tips on fighting this ticket? Do I need a traffic lawyer? I
am not willing to go to traffic school over a perceived "blue" headlight. I will also find out if this is a point loss (on my driving record). I'm thinking of going in, contesting the ticket with a "trial by written declaration," and just submitting paperwork that suggests my lights are indeed legal.

Thanks,
-Mike-
http://www.geocities.com/creoreef
Old 10-18-2001, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn... I thought that only happened in Kentucky
Old 10-18-2001, 11:56 AM

Default Easy ticket to fight. Just show them the specs of your car and get a written

letter from your authorized dealership. Thats what I did back in 1998 when I was ticketed for the same reason driving an A6 in PA
Old 10-18-2001, 11:59 AM
Banned

Sorry, it's not fair.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do dumb cops get in trouble for lots of bogus tickets?

If a really stupid pig ends up writing lots of tickets of this sort, and they all get thrown out, is the donut-muncher's captain notified? You'd hope there'd be some mechanism of getting this sort of power-abusing delinquent off the street.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:01 PM

Yea and make sure you go to court so he can see he was wrong.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:02 PM
Elder Member

Default that really sucks. i'm sure if you show them the manufacturer's sepcs and p/n

and then show them the P/n on your lights you'll win. however, our lights CAN LOOK very blue if they are not level. Before i turned that little white screw to adjust them downward (on my new set of stock after my accident), they looked very blue reflecting off of just about any sign on the road. turn that little white screw and you shouldn't get pulled over again...damn ignant cops.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:07 PM

Default Yea, I agree with eveyrone else, just show the manufacturers Specs...

Since the light bulbs are stock, they can't do **** and you can complain about the officer's behavior also.

man, sorry again you got screwed. Irvine's my town but the cops are literally bitches.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:09 PM

In Irvine, you get pulled over for ANYTHING.
Old 10-18-2001, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If I remember correctly, there is a pamphlet at the dealer . . .

called "Xenon headlights & your Audi". It goes into detail what they are, how they work and on which vehicles they are OEM or optional on. It should be in the waiting area of the service dept. at your dealer.

Quick Reply: Ticket for "blue headlights."