S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

uh.. help... ex mechanic over spun clutch duing break in miles..

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default uh.. help... ex mechanic over spun clutch duing break in miles..

i had about 150 miles on the clutch and he is like let me take it for a ride to see how it feels.
So we hop in the car. and he WOTs.. And im like wtf.. then the clutch overspins and we stall out.. I was pissed. I get back in my car and drive it carefully for the rest of break in miles. clutch engagement point seemed kind of far out.

Well now.. the clutch pedal throw is really hard in the last few inches..
will it be ok ? what should i do ?
just got a new slave cylinder in my car.
it feels a little better. shifting isn't quite so hard.. but still no where close to normal.
*sigh*
Old 11-09-2006, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Which clutch?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

vast kevlar w/ lwfw
Old 11-09-2006, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Hrmm, can't help there. My RS4 slipped some at first but has come back strong...

Take it easy for a while and it may come back.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

uhh...have you tried to hold him accountable at all?
Old 11-09-2006, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

not yet..as i have no real proof..
Old 11-09-2006, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I'd gather/document any proof of damage. I'd also confront him and see how he responds. Maybe

he'll man up and help out someway. If not, depending on the amount of damages, may be worth taking him to small claims. It will essentially be your word versus his at that point.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

how much later is this? seems like if it has been awhile, you won't get too far.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Actually, I think you will be OK...

First, the "hard to press in the last few inches" problem is most likely an issue with the pressure plate. I have this same issue and I absolutely babied my clutch for about 750 miles. Holds like a champ. I have VAST kevlar with RS4 pressure plate and lwfw.

Report your problem to piggie. I think you are the 3rd or 4th person with this symptom. We think it's an RS4 pressure plate issue but aren't sure. Your info will help us diagnose the group issue. My SAC is fine, I had a new slave put in at the time of installment, and broke it in properly. We're stumped.

As for frying kevlar, baby it for some while longer. At about 500-750 miles try progressively going harder on it. If it slips, back off and go some more miles babying it. Keep trying. I was talking to a friend who has a P-car and frequents their forums and he said it's natural for people to have slippage with kevlar during break in. As long as you don't totally toast it (heat it up too much with massive rpm differential between clutch and flywheel) then it should be OK. Keep us posted.

P.S. The clutch will grab very close to the floor when you first get it but gets progressively further out as you break it in. It should settle to about 1/3-1/2 way up from the floor as the catch point. Should feel like stock...maybe slightly heavier pedal.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:37 AM

Default If you have a Kevlar disc they are really resilient to heat. Might just have a slight glaze if

anything.

Quick Reply: uh.. help... ex mechanic over spun clutch duing break in miles..