S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Update!! Here is the latest, my mechanic (Audi Certified) disconnected..

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update!! Here is the latest, my mechanic (Audi Certified) disconnected..

the hoses coming out of the top of the 710n valves and plugged them going into the silver tube that they connect to. Sorry for sounding stupid but I think that feeds the two valves on the right side of the y pipe as you look at the motor. So, the end result is that the intake to the silver tubes is blocked off and the top nipple opening of the 710n valves are open.
The result is that the car is now getting full boost and pulling hard again. It has a couple of minor flat spots through the rev range, but it has been so long since the car ran correctly that these may be normal. It does again feel that everything is working correctly for the most part. Now the question, what needs to be replaced. It obviously is not designed to be ran this way, so I would think that one of those valves is the culprit. I would appreciate any additional suggestions and thank you to everyone that has helped already.

Thanks,
Pat
Old 11-15-2007, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well at least he has an eye for detail ;) glad to hear everythign back and running, now go enjoy.

i mean seriously, only a handful of times you'll be able to walk away with a free fix with these cars.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That would be the N249 valve that those connect to through the metal pipes. You may have

a bad N249. I actually removed mine entirely and let the DVs open straight off of manifold pressure. You could do that or just see if the valve is perhaps not working properly because one of the other lines connecting to it has a crack in it.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I will check the lines. Is there any problem with running it with that valve taken out?

Should I cap the top nipple of the 710n valves? Is the N249 the large valve or the small one behind it?
Old 11-15-2007, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Are you saying just to leave it as it is, or should I be replacing something?

The mechanic that I use is very good. He was the main Audi tech at a very large dealer and left for a job at the Lexus dealer. However, he still works on my car for me out of his garage. Great to have an Audi trained tech at home shop independent prices. I am sure that he will know what to do from here as he is the one that suggested this fix, but I always like to get some Audiworld feedback as well.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't cap those DV nipples!!! You'll pop hoses or worse. You need to fix it. The N249 opens

the diverter valves when you close the throttle body. Without the top hoses connected, they'll still open but not as fast and not all the way.

You might not be making full boost either because the spring pressure alone probably isn't enough to hold 15 PSI. Normally, with the small hoses connected, they pressurize the back side of the DV diaphrams and prevent them from opening regardless of boost pressure - until you close the throttle and create a manifold vacuum which in turn creates vacuum pressure in the DVs and opens them - thus keeping pressures in check and also keeping the turbos spinning between shifts and reducing turbo lag.

It should be an easy fix and it is necessary IMO.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Expert

oh he must of skipped that day of "audi certified" training...jeez, find a new mechanic.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i would argue with you about your mechanic being "very good". he made

you spend a lot of money for nothing. new 02's probably weren't needed along wthi the other items you listed. inexcusable in my opinion to over look something so obvoius. like s4gasm said, i guess he was out sick that day or just asleep. i'm no "audi tech", and i would've been able to figure out that problem. i mean, he didn't even remove the engien cover.

glad you got it fixed, go enjoy.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think that my mechanic is fine. He is the one that suggested this to see if the boost would be...

back. I am just checking with the forum to verify what is going on. So far he has done a good job troubleshooting this. the fact that the problem has existed for 3 months is my fault not his. He was systematically working his way through the system. The car was not throwing any codes and was passing the pressure test, so capping these lines was his next step.
I am interested as to why you think he would be to blame in this and that I should "find a new mechanic".
Old 11-15-2007, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

^^^ in denial. did you mess with the DV's at all?

Quick Reply: Update!! Here is the latest, my mechanic (Audi Certified) disconnected..