S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Update on S4 warranty voided by AOA. (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update on S4 warranty voided by AOA. (Long)

Some of you may remember that I posted a few weeks ago about the warranty being voided on my wife's 2000 S4. Audi claimed that an aftermarket air filter caused a mass airflow sensor to go bad - which was giving a check engine light. I took the car to 3 dealers over 6 months to resolve this issue and other warranty issues.

The last dealer charged us $250 for bogus repairs, then charged us $350 for a rental car. They stated that the filter caused the problem, warranty is void, and we have to pay $1500 to fix it.

Customer relations could not help, OTS was not helping, and the general manager of the dealership was no help. My wife and I have since filed a claim against the dealership with the local BBB - for the bogus repairs and rental charge. We have also filed a complaint against AOA with the FTC, stating that AOA is voiding warranty based on the installation of aftermarket parts. Am I leaving any agencies out?

My wife's father has been a lawyer for the NRC for many years, and he has volunteered to represent us. He believes that a letter will suffice and that we will be refunded our money in full. This includes the money we had to pay to get the car fixed by an independent mechanic.

The source of our problems turns out to be a $5 intake gasket that the dealership failed to re-install last year when the car was in for some work. The missing gasket was causing a "high input DTC" and caused the check engine light to be on for 6 months and 10K miles.

This is not intended as a slugging match, and I would hope that I do not get flamed again for discussing this topic. I only want to share this info with others that are having similiar issues with AOA. I would encourage anyone having problems like this to contact the FTC.

Peace
Adam
Old 05-01-2001, 09:28 AM
Elder Member

Default Magnuson-Moss doesn't cover aftermarket parts that aren't direct replacements for

stock parts. Its also questionable if it applies if the warrantor provides no-cost parts for standard maintennance.

The FTC won't be able to help you.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:42 AM
rao
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default He is claiming that the problem was faulty work done by the dealer, which would clearly be covered

and the law requires the manufacturr to show that the replacement parts actually cased the problem, merely installing them isn't enough.<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/310763.phtml">The latest warranty thread</a></li></ul>
Old 05-01-2001, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's right, the burden of proof is clearly placed on AOA, they are betting that he won't fight it
Old 05-01-2001, 09:54 AM
rao
AudiWorld Senior Member

Exactly - that is the practical problem
Old 05-01-2001, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Two comments:

I'm curious to know what is meant by "direct replacement". If you use a
K&N, which supposedly does a better job filtering air than a standard paper
filter, and which doesn't have significant negative effects, why would this
not be covered under Magnuson-Moss?

Second, if the filter was incompatible with the mass (=if=), then in one
sense it's fair to have to cover the cost of repairs yourself. But how does
this equate to a voided warranty?

Rory
Old 05-01-2001, 10:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks, 'rao', for posting the fruits of your research and experience for our consideration.

This contribution is what makes this forum great!
Old 05-01-2001, 10:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TOLD YOU SO!

You remember I said so, right QuickSilver ?

Glad your car is good now, goes to show you the attitude and expertise of the Authorized and Qualified Audi dealer .

Bottom line : THEY WERE WRONG! (again!)

Yeah sure, why blame the dealer if the techies are inexperienced? Well, cause they don't pay **** so they get young kids that are starting, add the fact that the important TSBs are 'kept' locked: you never know if those kids can be 'trusted' as to NOT to divulge Audi's dirty laundry .

It's a cycle that ONLY Audi will be able to break once they:
a) Get better quality and better parts (of course).
b) Pay more so they can hire good trained technicians.

I work in tech supp. I know what goes on and the lying that sometimes is used to get 'rid' of customers (or when the tech doesn't know and needs to get off the phone/job).

I bet it didn't get fixed/looked at until the OTS or somebody EXPERIENCED was brought in once you got serious with them, they have some of those that go all over the country dealing with the 'fires'.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:33 AM

Default Ufortunately, neither the BBB or the FTC can make them pay you back. That actually may require you

to sue them. Either way, good luck.
Old 05-01-2001, 10:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Go all the way just to show them this is NOT the way to do buss.

Once you have a lawyer handy, go all the way for your expenses PLUS pain and suffering.

They played hard on you, it's your turn to give them some of their own chocolate, you have the proof, you have them in your pocket, go for it, it won't be contested.

Maybe someday they will understand it is better (and easier) to deal with problems straight, instead of forcing people to push them, which will end up being more expensive after all, not to mention the embarrassment of their ineptitude and bad service.

We have at LEAST 2 documented examples of this, there might be more out there as AW only has a small portion of Audi turbo owners, being documented and having the proof will help others, plus you never know if they will need to be shown to the media in case things get even worse .

Good luck and thanks for the good info, it's been archived .

Shame on you Audi...

Quick Reply: Update on S4 warranty voided by AOA. (Long)