S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

UUC install instructions repost. Audiworld deleted the first one

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2000, 07:51 AM
matthewk

Default UUC install instructions repost. Audiworld deleted the first one

UUC short shifter installation instructions

Items that you will need:

Very thin 1/4 inch ratchet
10mm shallow socket
9mm shallow socket
10mm open end / box end wrench
3mm hex key wench (I think that is it 3mm but I might be wrong it is for the bolt on the UUC shifter)
Clip ring tool (this is the thing that open and closes the C clips. I got mine from Home Depot for $20)
6mm hex key socket or a VERY big T-handle hex tool

Step 1:

Take off the shifter **** and the shift boot. Top get the boot off put your fingers into the boot and grab under the plate surrounding the boot and pull up. Don't fear this thing comes off pretty easy.

Also don't worry too much about dropping anything there is no where for it to go. The entire shifter assembly sits in this little plastic tub

Step 2:

Remove the C clip the is on the shifter rod. Take off all of the white plastic that follow. Be careful there are some spring-loaded pieces that might fly off.

Step 3:

The pictures in the UUC directions show these. Remove the Two 6mm hex bolts from in front of the shifter assembly. Try to remember where the bolts were in the slots. This is where you do the adjusting and knowing where they started will make it easier to put back together.

Step 4:

Use your spring clip tool again to remove the big clip surrounding the white pivot ball that is holding the shift rod. Once you get the ball and the two black rings out the fun part starts.

Step 5:

Here is where it get a little tricky. At the bottom of the shifter rod there is a bolt that connects the two pieces. You need to get that out. Put the 10mm socket on the driver side of the bolt and the closed end of the open end wrench. Now undo the bolt.

Stem 6:

After you get the bolt out take the rod out from the to and the other piece will slide out the back.

Step 7:

Take the bolt out of the UUC shifter. BE SURE TO REMEMBER IT'S ORENTATION. IT MUST GO BACK TOGETHER THE SAME WAY!!!

Step 8:

Put the rod in through the top and the other piece in the same way that you took the stock one out.

Step 9:

Put the bolt back into the UUC Shifter. Make sure that it is going together the same was that you tool it apart. The little bolt on the side of the shifter rod should be on the passenger side....

Step 9:

Put the rest of the stuff back together the same way that you took it apart. Don't put the two 6mm bolts in yet save that for last, as you will need to do some adjusting. Do however get the rods for the shifter linkage and the assembly adjustment in their respective holes.

Step 10:

Once it is all together you will need to do some adjusting. Put the shift **** on bot leave the boot off for now. here is what the two 6mm bolts do as best I can put it in to words. The one that is on the bottom is for the shift linkage. This will set the place of the shifter in respect to the shift pattern. The one on the top will is connected to the shifter pivot. Sliding this one back and forth will determine where the front to back neutral position of the shifter **** will rest. When setting this one don't go to far in either direction or the bezel surrounding the shift boot will prevent you from getting all of the way into gear.

Step 11:

Remove the shift **** and replace the shifter boot. Slide the front of it under the ashtray the push it down from the back. Replace the shift ****...

This is a work in progress until it is to a point that I can post it in the FAQ section. Please send any revisions to matthewk@imsconsulting.com
Old 01-13-2000, 08:26 AM
STILL waiting

Default Matthew, could you give us the link to their site again ...

I wonder if their production is keeping up with the demand, and how long of a wait there is to get it. Does anyone have any idea?
Old 01-13-2000, 08:28 AM
S4andy

Default Thanks for all your work on this. . .

I tried sending you an email but it bounced back as undeliverable. In step 6, what exactly do you take the rod out from??

Sandy
'00 S4 Dreaming of shorter shifts
Old 01-13-2000, 09:02 AM
Warren Wang

Default www.uucmotorwerks.com

nt<ul><li><a href="http://www.uucmotorwerks.com">UUC Motorwerks</a></li></ul>
Old 01-13-2000, 09:57 AM
matthewk

Sorry typo in step 6: take the rod out from the top and the other piece will slide out the back.
Old 01-13-2000, 02:07 PM
S4andy

Thanks, should have figured out that missing "p"