S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Very funny S4 story from "down south"...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 01:10 PM
Peter Ryckaert

Default Very funny S4 story from "down south"...

Picked up my new S4 on Saturday and had an experience of a lifetime on the way home. Earlier that day my wife and I had made a trip from one southern city to another (4 hours away) to get the car (lets leave the cities and states out of it just in case). I traded in my 180FWD TT. Before we left we had a temporary paper tag in the rear window and an ad placed in the license plate frame in the rear. On the way back it was dark and as we approached closer to home fog started to roll-in to the hills and mountains around us. With a total of 200 miles or so on the new S4 I started fiddling with the fog lights and high beams, etc. in the fog. I though WOW this has rear fogs and when you use the rear the fronts come on and when you turn off the fronts the rears turn off and you can turn on the fronts by themselves and…”Hey honey this guy is tailing the crap out of us”…uh oh, all of a sudden I see flashing blue and red lights. I’m getting pulled over! I tell my wife that I was actually not speeding (which miraculously was true). I don’t know why I’m being pulled over but they hand out tickets down here for only a couple of MPH over the limit.

I signal to the shoulder (which there is very little of down here) and then stop and put on the hazards. Then I turn on the interior lights and wait. The officer approaches very slowly and cautiously with his flashlight in one hand and the other on his gun (I was watching him in the mirror). “License and insurance please”. I don’t say anything but give him the license. I ask permission to search for the insurance card (which still says Audi TT on it, but we just called the company that day to switch over the coverage). Finally we come up with it. “What are you doing with those blue lights sir?” My wife says, “Those are Xenon lights, they are blue”. I say, “Yes, they are high intensity discharge lamps that are blue (my voice trails off knowing this guy has NO CLUE what we are talking about). The cop says, “I saw you flashing some blue lights and was wondering why you are doing that”. He says, “…just picked the car up today and heading home?”. I say, “Yes”. He says, “I need you to be careful with those lights please, I couldn’t tell what in the heck that was”. Now that was the first time he said that. He said it to me about 4 times. I’m thinking to myself, he is obviously embarrassed and has no way to ticket me so he is warning me over nothing, over and over. He finally hands back my stuff and says goodbye.

I wanted to laugh, but we just got our butts out of there. I think what happened is that he thought we were trying to impersonate an unmarked patrol car. You see, down here blue lights mean cops and the blue lights on the S4 confused him. I’m used to red lights = bad and blue lights = volunteer fireman. We also wondered if it looked funny to see a car on the road that looked like it was just lifted from a lot, with no Audi dealer for 100 miles, and somebody playing with the fog lights.

I’ll tell ya, welcome to the south pardner! Or better yet welcome to the south Goober! Now watch out and be careful with that S4, ya hear! -Pete
Old 10-14-1999, 01:39 PM
Jeff O'B

Default Re: Very funny S4 story from "down south"...

Why did you trade the TT in? Just curious.
Old 10-14-1999, 01:53 PM
Peter Ryckaert

Default Why I traded my TT...

Brain fart, moment of passion, who knows! Actually the power of the S4 did it. The TT just doesn't have the scoot (plus the lag time is larger). I had a 225Q on order but I just felt an over-massaged 4 cyl wouldn't really do it. If they put the biturbo 6 in the TT, maybe then. It's a neat car, but more of a toy than a real car I guess. Didn't hurt that the resale of the TT is very high and I paid sticker. -Pete
Old 10-14-1999, 03:23 PM
Kate

Closet snow bunny couldn't fit the skis in the TT...
Old 10-14-1999, 07:17 PM
me

Let me guess...Kentucky?
Old 10-14-1999, 08:11 PM
Jason Jolly

You must be from WAY up north.....( i.e. - not Mississippi )
Old 10-15-1999, 05:22 AM
Peter Ryckaert

Default Nope!

nt
Old 10-15-1999, 05:28 AM
Smug1

Default I went the other way - traded 98 S4 for TT225Q (UK)

Better handling BUT I MISS THE GRUNT. Never mind, RS4 on order for next summer and TTrs (300bhp)year after that. Ha ha.

We pay more in Europe, but it's worth it as we get 'em first.
Old 10-15-1999, 08:18 PM
MT

Arkansas?