S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Very loud noise from rear of car, I've stfa, but nothing logical

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I've ordered a couple CV joints, a few hundred bucks of various fluids and some gaskets before. Why do you ask?

If your looking to do a drive shaft, there are cheaper and easier options.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shawnoc - throttle does not really make a difference.

If anything you of course hear it less under throttle but just because it's being masked by the engine and exhaust sounds. I've become very convinced it's the driveshaft given the level of noise and the about of vibration going on in the cabin. I've ordered from Blauparts many times - no problems there.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by finallyturbos
I really really don't think it's a bearing. I've had plenty of them go bad in the past, and the sound is different. It's louder and very consistant - bearing always seem to change noise level and pitch when you turn. It's also more middle of the car from what I can tell. With a bearing you can typically hear it more on the specific side.
I've had three go and have never noticed it come from a specific side, never noticed the sound vary as I turned (although I tested this), and the sound has always been consistent. So I don't think your logic is sound. Good luck with it, though.

Rory
Old 10-13-2009, 05:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default complacentsee - can you expand on your

'cheaper and easier' comment regarding the ds?

Originally Posted by complacentsee
I've ordered a couple CV joints, a few hundred bucks of various fluids and some gaskets before. Why do you ask?

Old 10-13-2009, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Well, since the drive shafts are a bitch to repair. IIRC you need a press to do the U joint.

I could be wrong on that one I guess. But you can order a rebuilt one for around 450 with free shipping for the new one and your core back to them.

Or you could order a custom one piece drive shaft for not to much more money than that either.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine seems to get a little quieter when I let off of the throttle at highway speeds although I do agree with finallyturbos that its masked by other noises.

I just seem to have a lot of drive-line play when shifting gears lately (I did put in a DTS, new motor and trans mounts with my clutch this summer) and the drive-line really shudders in low speed, tight turns (similar to the service article in don's link.)

Not so0 bad I can't milk it for a while (unless of course it seizes up) so I just started to research it since I thought that maybe my diff was going out but then I saw Finally's post and it sounds similar. Thinking that I may pursue a one piece aluminum? drive shaft though.

Finallyturbo - sorry, didn't mean to hijack your post. Do you feel any excess play in the drive-line. The shuddering make any sense to you?
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, since the drive shafts are a bitch to repair. IIRC you need a press to do the U joint.

I could be wrong on that one I guess. But you can order a rebuilt one for around 450 with free shipping for the new one and your core back to them.

Or you could order a custom one piece drive shaft for not to much more money than that either.

Complacentsee - you got someone that will do a 1 piece custom drive shaft with the correct ends????
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You have to send them back your ends. But yes. advanceautomotion.com
Old 10-15-2009, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

R U running one? Anyone else? Sounds like a good idea and maybe less flex.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nope, next time I get some time, I'm going to re allign mine, if that fails then it's one peice time.

Quick Reply: Very loud noise from rear of car, I've stfa, but nothing logical