S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Waterfest!!!- New AWE/GIAC stage 3 software installed - Autocross, Dyno and 1/4 mile results - Viper

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waterfest!!!- New AWE/GIAC stage 3 software installed - Autocross, Dyno and 1/4 mile results - Viper

OK. What a weekend! Just got back - 5 hours and 15 minutes of 90 mph and a few dusted Subarus later...

It all started on the drive down - me in my car and my friends Cyrus and Alex in Cyrus' 01.5 Mihnea-tuned beast. His car ended up at KTR with a race ECU making 401 hp at the wheels on 110 leaded with open dumps, 368 HP with the dumps closed on and 350 on pump gas and the pump profile with dumps closed. The car is well sorted. I'm telling you this because of what heppens next...

So we're cruising along the busy Merritt Parkway and what do we happen upon but a pair of matching Viper SRT-10s. I'm in front so I slow down and let the cars in front of me pull ahead to make some room. I head past the first Viper slowly and he won't even look over. So I move up to the next Viper and the guy looks. I point forward with an urgent, erratic, adrenal-induced motion and he gets the signal. I hear him downshift and I'm already in third at 65 or so. He floores it and we both go. I have half a car on him by the end of third and then we have to let off due to traffic. Then Cyrus comes up to the same guy, and i pull up a couple hundred yards ahead while they slow down to make some room. Same thing again - Cyrus takes the guy by almost a car length before the Viper has to hit the brakes. It was great! We both lost our Viper-Kill virginity, and that's the perfect analagy because we were both feeling that "oh yeah...' sensation for a long, long time afterwards. Poor guy in the Viper though. I hope he heals quickly. Alex got this on video by the way.

Next great thing about waterfest:
The new stage 3 GIAC/AWE software! I had my car flashed on Saturday night and all I can say is that it's amazing (and big time thank you to Austin of GIAC). This stuff pulls on 93 at least as hard as it used to on race gas. With c16 in the tank, it's just a brand new car. You can use the flashloader software on the laptop to set the boost anywhere you like - the timing and AFR follow suit. No more throttle cut, corrected for the MPG readout on the dash, and get this - almost 30 degrees of timing advance in the midrange on c16 with 24 lbs of boost. Me so happy! This is a must have for fellow GIAC stage 3ers. And yes, it's smooth. VERY smooth.

I ran the drags on Saturday (with the old software) just before the ASP GT28 car blew itself up. First run and the driver went to hit fourth and found second instead. Kapoof... out comes the white smoke. He still drifted across the finish with an 11.4 though! Amazing. Real shame too because I wanted to see it kick some butt.

Anyway, I ran an 11.96 at 116.8 in my last run of the day. I put two gallons of c16 in, went straight to the dyno and embarassed myself with 375 whp because, in part, I didn't let the file adapt. But from the dyno I went to the strip and it went 12.5, 12.4, 12.2, 12.2, 11.9. Adaption complete. Half a secong better than last year. Removal of mechanical fan and addition of MBC/TCD were the changes over last year. It was 100 degrees last year and 96 degrees this year on the car's dash.

Then this morning (and after the new software) I did the autocross. It was fun but I feel a little guilty. I took first in class (the only one in my class as a matter of fact) but more importantly, took fastest time of the day by almost two seconds. My best was a 36.7 and the next best was a 38.5. I was very surprised by that. I used to autocross Rabbits but never autocrossed the S. I didn't expect the boat to hook up as well as it did. I think I have a new-found respect for our cars' diverse range of talents.

Beat Vipers, turn fast, stop fast, haul kids and boats and ATVs, drive up steep cow pastures in lots of snow, get 20+ mpg. What's not to love?

That's all for now. Video of the viper kills and other pics soon to be posted.

Erik
Old 07-22-2007, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Is there video of the ASP car doing the 1/4 mile run?
Old 07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't know...
Old 07-22-2007, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

great to hear Erik; thanks for sharing - too bad I missed you
Old 07-22-2007, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Heading up to Epping soon? It'd be fun - get a beer afterward.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default hmm, no plans, just enjoying the car after having it all one color again :o)

but if that changes, I'll be sure to let you know.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

awesome, great news. wish the program was available to all of us..
Old 07-22-2007, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Will the new GIAC Stage III Software be of any help to my Homebrew or is for OTS AWE Cars? Congrats

on an awesome weekend~ I look forward to the Viper Video.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:36 PM
Uki
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You should head up some time, i've been getting things ready so I can take it down the strip.

Thanks for the help by the way, just needed some reassurance that I wasn't doing it wrong or potentially breaking things. Also, i'm finally getting rid of my ko3's this fall, if you're still interested i'd rather give you the work.

Shoot me an email if you decide to head up to epping.
Old 07-23-2007, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

hey Erik , glad to hear , and good to meet you !

Quick Reply: Waterfest!!!- New AWE/GIAC stage 3 software installed - Autocross, Dyno and 1/4 mile results - Viper