S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

what all variables are involved in tweaking when one says i'm getting "tuned" by so and so?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what all variables are involved in tweaking when one says i'm getting "tuned" by so and so?

i never understood what exact things they tweak on a car to give it more power. boost? a/f ratios? timing? what else?

i have plain jane k04s with the vast fueling kit installed last june and after seeing the "tuned" stage 3 s4 video vs. the ots kit, i feel as though gains can be made from my car. just curious
Old 06-05-2007, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Then yours is easy... 1st off, how much boost are you currently running?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Did piggie tune your car or did you install the kit?
Old 06-05-2007, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "tuned" basically means customizing various parameters in the software to the car's specific...

hardware. Such parameters as AFR (air/fuel ratio), timing, and boost are commonly fine tuned.

An OTS kit is a generic setup for mass production. It does the job but doesn't extract full potential from each car because (1) the kits are designed with safety/longevity in mind and (2) each car is different. Add 91 pisswater versus 93 east coast gas differences and you can begin to see the number of permutations that result. OTS is the lowest common denominator, so to speak.

The biggest difference between the "tuned" cars and the "OTS" ones is the boost level. More boost generally means more power.

At least this is my understanding of things.
Old 06-05-2007, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That sounds about right. OTS kits are tuned conservatively so they run well on almost all setups.

You need to tweak in order to get the full potential out of a specific application.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

about 21psi and 19 at redline
Old 06-05-2007, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

just installed the kit and made sure the a/f ratio was okay
Old 06-05-2007, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default delphi 37#ers? airbox or open element? Just curious. As for boost, you

can turn it up a bit. 22.5psi is fine, 23psi still okay. Some run 24psi when it's not hot, but I like to keep it at 22.5 generally during warmer months for my regular driving. It's all what you're comfortable with and what the logs show.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default By tweaking the tuning your referring to the

across the board change to timing (additive offset on ignition timing angle), across the board change to fueling (primary fuel tweak), and across the board change to boost (MBC)?

If so, the notion of tweaking should be clearly explained as compared with the other option of customizing, where somebody with the appropriate tools does more than wholesale changes to an entire parameter without accounting for the specific engine conditions.

Tweaking with adaptation channels and an MBC is not the same as a customized software tune. Tweaking allows you to attempt to push the envelope further than the base code was designed for, but it's not going to get the 'full potential' from the motor, it's simply too crude of a tool to do that.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default So your saying that tweaked OTS code will not preform as well as a custom tune because a custom

tune adjusts more then just what is "tweakable" by using lemmi or other such tools?

I will have to agree that using "full potential" terminology is a bit relative.

Quick Reply: what all variables are involved in tweaking when one says i'm getting "tuned" by so and so?