S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Where is my power steering fluid going? good troubleshooters needed!

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is my power steering fluid going? good troubleshooters needed!

Today I get in the car and head off for work like normal, something's wrong, I hear whining noises when I turn the wheel. Must be power steering fluid and I it turns out that I'm right. I head back home and take a different car to work.

Problem is... where did it go? I've never had to refill it the fluid in the 4 years I've had this car. I look on the ground, no puddles or anything. I buy new fluid and fill it up after work. I go for a short drive to check it out. BAM! the fluid's gone again! I limp it home trying not to load the steering pump too much.

I remove the bumper and drive it up my Rhino ramps. The bottom side of the car is dry! WTF, where is my power steering fliud going? After a few hours of letting the car sit on the ramps. I spot a small puddle under my passenger's side lower control arm.

Turns out the the rubber brake line is all wet and fresh with fluid. Can't be my power steering fluid can it? naw, so I checked the brake resevoir and it's full! So now what? Where's the PS fluid goin? And what's that fluid that's all over the passenger side brake line, drive axle, inside of my wheel, and control arm?

Power steering pump is not leaking, resevoir tank is not leaking, PS hoses attached to the PS line cooler is not leaking. The top side of the belly pan is dry. There must be something I'm overlooking.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:40 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You drive an audi & made it 4 years without adding PS fluid?

YOu're doing good. Most audis will eat some, it's not uncommon. Usually you'll see some residue on the lines going to the cooling pipe, but that's not enough to account for the total fluid lost. Just keep it at the appropriate level, and unless you lose a lot in like, a week, don't sweat it. ;-)
Old 03-08-2005, 05:04 AM

Default It's filling up the rubber boots on the steering rack. Check the boots themselves or look for signs

that the fluid has leaked past the clamps and dripped on the components below - the stuff you saw on the brake lines is certain to be PS fluid; if your brake system was leaking enough to notice fluid on the ground, it would all disappear before too long and you would feel a mushy pedal.

A search of the archives will reveal that this is a pretty common situation with our cars. I would check the PS fluid a couple of times a week or more often and see what happens. IIRC, once you start losing a lot of fluid a repair is imminent. Sorry to bear the bad news.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

could this mean the whole steering rack needs replaced?!
Old 03-08-2005, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

yes, didn't have to add any from 2001 til now! now it won't even last 5 miles in town!!
Old 03-08-2005, 06:04 PM
Banned

Default I didn't catch the 5 miles part......

I'd have to agree with S4_cinci then. ANd yes, that'll mean replacing the whole steering rack. Not cheap, over $1500 installed. You'd be wise to replace the PS pump with it at the same time too.