S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

who has fitted their own RS4 bumper? how was it? Just a heat gun and time? Thanks

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

who has fitted their own RS4 bumper? how was it? Just a heat gun and time? Thanks
Old 09-15-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i did!... i had the bottom bulges cut and

plastic welded together to avoid the bulge effect. Which looks great but where the fender meets the bumper i still need to work on it as it does not line up at all....I think i cut to much off the inside of the bumper....
Old 09-15-2006, 09:57 AM

Default Lots of time and patience. I used a heat gun, drill, and some cutting/filling.

It didn't turn out *perfect* but I'm not too particularly picky either. Alignment will be your biggest issue issue with installing the RS4 bumper. ALWAYS check alignment especially with your headlights before doing the final drilling/mounting.

Also take note on how you plan to attach the bumper to the body itself, it doesn't use the standard S4 side clips. You want to avoid mounting it in a way that requires you to remove the headlights to unmount it (this is a mistake you can make especially if you're working with the headlights already out) - since you know, you need to remove the bumper to get to that last bolt for the headlights.

It can get complicated but if you take your time and study pictures from how other people did it, as well as NOT rushing it (I made this mistake initially, and that's what caused it not to be "perfect") you should alright. Anyone can figure it out, you've just got to take your time.

If you decide to use bolts and nuts to hold the side in then I suggest putting some anti-seize or anti-corrosive on them too especially if you're in a salt state. Last thing you need is those mounts seized and then you really can't remove the bumper at all. I used 1/4" galvanized steel bolts with anti-seize on them, and I plan to change them after every winter.

Maybe its a bit overkill but after my last experience with the pinch bolt for that control arm - I'd rather just replace bolts every year.

Given a chance to do it over again, I would've gone back to a stock S4 simply for the ease of how it could be removed quickly. The RS4 bumper will be a PITA to remove the first few times after you install it until you get your rhythm down so to speak. But of course this also depends on how you decide to mount it in the end

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: who has fitted their own RS4 bumper? how was it? Just a heat gun and time? Thanks

So it is not as easy as they said??
I am about to get mine but I not sure, I think the plastic wheel covers don't fit as well
I probably go only with the RS4 mesh I will hate to look at and not have a perfect fit, does it feel floppy? are they the same supports as the S4? If possible send some picture.....TKS
Old 09-15-2006, 05:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: who has fitted their own RS4 bumper? how was it? Just a heat gun and time? Thanks

So it is not as easy as they said??
I am about to get mine but I not sure, I think the plastic wheel covers don't fit as well
I probably go only with the RS4 mesh I will hate to look at it and not have a perfect fit, does it feel floppy? are they the same supports as the S4? If possible send some pictures.....TKS