S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Who's heard about Washington DC's WONDERFUL new speed-activated cameras that will be (rant)

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who's heard about Washington DC's WONDERFUL new speed-activated cameras that will be (rant)

strewn throughout the city, effective today? It was said that officials are predicting a 97% INCREASE in speeding ticket revenues from this new, ingenious ticketing system. Also, they are projecting that (statistically) every DC driver will get 3 speeding tickets in the FIRST MONTH alone! (or something close to that). Ridiculous. IMO, this is nothing but a money making scheme that is going to **** off a lot of daily commuters, people with previously flawless driving records, and 22 year old Audi drivers. I don't drive through DC every day, but I do so enough that this could affect me. I just find this rather annoying, knowing that the *genius* who came up with this idea is sitting on his/her fat ***, probably immune to any "automatic tickets" he/she will recieve. *******.

The deal is this: Speed activated cameras will be placed in both manned AND un-manned police cars, and parked, lying in wait for unsuspecting speeders. When someone who is driving *too fast* passes the camera, it will sense them, triggering it to take a picture of the car and licence plate, resulting in a ticket, to be mailed to the unsuspecting driver. The funny thing is, we, as drivers, were not told HOW fast is TOO fast. Is it 10 miles over the limit? Five? Three? ONE????? WTF? This is so lame and inconsiderate it's pissing me off. Like the damn government isn't getting enough money from the people who actually get PULLED OVER for speeding. This sh*t sucks.

I think I will find one of these infamous cameras, tape up my license plate, drive by at 100 MPH, and flick it off through the sunroof.

Old 08-07-2001, 12:44 PM
Former Vendor

Default hehe, you should...that's friggin lame.

Seriously, that kind of thing would **** me off to...jeez.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DC is one big speedtrap.

Speed limit is 25 mph unless a HIGHER speed limit is posted. Absurd and costly.
Old 08-07-2001, 12:54 PM

Default They don't even have to be on cars. a lot of those are used...

at red lights that people frequently run. they photograph you if you run the light.

We have some of those speeding cameras on highways in CT, but i've sped on the roads that they supposedly are on and i've never gotten anything in the mail.

speeding tickets generate over 1 billion dollars a year for the government in the state of California alone. that's NUTS!!! i guess DC wanted in on that chunk o change!
Old 08-07-2001, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you're car is the sh*t. Love Laser Red, love the rims, love everything about your car!

(not to give you any kind of swollen ego or anything...)
Old 08-07-2001, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, we've had the red light cameras for a while...they're not as bad as the speed cameras...

running a red light is totally different than driving a little *too* fast (legally).

Running a red light, unless it's an accident, is blatent ignorance. Driving over the limit (to a certain extent) is just the norm.
Old 08-07-2001, 01:00 PM
Elder Member

Default Tips to beating them...(?)

My head's near enough the roof liner the sun visor trick would probably work. But for you shorter folks, looks like you gotta use the transvestite method. ;-)<ul><li><a href="http://www.beartraps.org/Administrative/IntersectionCameras.htm">http://www.beartraps.org/Administrative/IntersectionCameras.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 08-07-2001, 01:12 PM

Thanks for the advice, LOL...
Old 08-07-2001, 01:19 PM
Elder Member

Have any outfits in mind? Fishnet stockings? ;-)
Old 08-07-2001, 01:19 PM

Default Ha Ha!

OK, so everyone gets 3 tickets in the first month, gets licenses suspended, then how much revenue will they generate the next month?

Quick Reply: Who's heard about Washington DC's WONDERFUL new speed-activated cameras that will be (rant)