S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Why do people NOT like Avants?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2001, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Why do people NOT like Avants?

Talking to a dealer yesterday who had one new 6sp S4 Avant and a used S4 Avant tip, he told me that most people don't want to drive the Avant (wagons in general?), as it's not cool enough. Is this really so, or are there other practical reasons (security?) as to why people don't like Avants/wagons?

tia

Le Chef
Old 09-23-2001, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just think people have a hard time associating "wagon" and "sport"
Old 09-23-2001, 07:11 AM
Elder Member

Default Packing for NHIS at the moment... wishing I had an Avant right now...

Nothing freakin fits in the sedan... I'm not looking forward to a two hour drive with the back seats down having a Borla exhaust...
Old 09-23-2001, 07:16 AM
Banned

Default How much worse is the sound with the seats down? I've never driven like that with....

the Borla in there and I can't go out and test it right away because I have no downpipes on my car right now.
Thanks, Mike
Old 09-23-2001, 07:19 AM

Re: Europe is the opposite. Wagons are upscale there.
Old 09-23-2001, 07:19 AM
Elder Member

Default Its a lot louder... much more cabin drone. You'd be suprised...

how well isolated the trunk is. I had to do it when I was driving the stock exhaust back home. That was 5 minutes

Of course the Borla has toned down a bit since it was brand new. It'll be interesting to see how bad it actually is on the drive.
Old 09-23-2001, 07:29 AM
Banned

Default I think I am going to have to put my muffler back on then....I took it off, but now that I am.....

doing the downpipes, it is probably going to be way too loud for daily driving with only a resonator. BTW, I just have a 90 deg. turn down in place of the muffler.....It sounds sweeeet.
Old 09-23-2001, 07:38 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Excuse me? I love mine! The US is starting to follow europe....

Stupid Americans buy impractical 4door sedans, and thus manufacturers stop making hatchbacks for the US. It really sucks. Anyway, the US wagon industry is booming right now relative to any other time in history. Check and see how many manufacturers are making wagons here and you'll be surprised. Even more than the total numbers, the recent increase in new wagons shows the trend that there is a bigger market here for them than in the past. These companies are learning who is buying them and trying to make them fit that segment, which is the young adults that still like the sporty aspects, thus the # of small wagons that are out there. If you can make a wagon that looks good, handles good, and makes the owner proud to drive it, you have a great product right now. I think the S4 Avant is ideal, with the exception of the price being a bit above what the market is aiming for. If you take the WRX wagon, and make it better by $5k, that would be the target as I see it.

my thoughts,
Old 09-23-2001, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its just the whole family hauler thing, but I would love to have an Avant.
Old 09-23-2001, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Thanks for the thoughtful answers

I'm still torn between the sedan and Avant. When I lived in Europe my last car there was a loaded 5-door Golf VR6. Fast and practical. My only real concerns with the Avant are it's easier for someone to steal stuff from the trunk than in a sedan. Let's see what the dealers turn up...

Le Chef

Quick Reply: Why do people NOT like Avants?