S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Why the S4 looses it's stealthyness at night...

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-1999, 03:22 PM
mpm

Default Why the S4 looses it's stealthyness at night...

first the zenon's give you away front the front, as you move through traffic. And, the tinted mirrors make it hard to pick up Officer Bob Speed coming up from the rear.

Bummer 8^L
Old 11-02-1999, 03:43 PM
Nate Sammons

Default The mirrors are annoying...

I ended up putting some electrical tape over the sensor on the rear-view mirror to keep them from dimming. With tinted windows it's especially hard to see police behind you when the mirrors tint.

-nate
Old 11-02-1999, 03:45 PM
mpm

Did that work?
Old 11-02-1999, 03:55 PM
Nate Sammons

Works great.
Old 11-02-1999, 04:08 PM
dx67

...which is why I don't understand why some want to put Xenon gas dischargers in the fog lights
Old 11-02-1999, 04:20 PM
Vijay

Default Re: Why the S4 looses it's stealthyness at night...

Matt,
The sport mirrors that I got from LLtek work great in this regard. They are tinted blue to reduce headlight glare, but do not dim the way the stock mirrors do. Overall, I find them much more functional-better night time visibility plus wide angle outer lens.
Old 11-02-1999, 04:23 PM
dx67

Default I'm on the other end of the spectrum -- I like the mirrors a lot

If I didn't have auto dimming mirrors, I would tip up the rear view mirror, in which was the same outcome would happen (that of not being able to see coppers on my butt).

I also like how they undim as soon as the bright lights from behind go away or recede into the distance. When I have to slum it in my other vehicle, I am constantly flipping the mirror up and down.

Just thought I'd represent the other side of the issue. :-}
Old 11-02-1999, 04:57 PM
mpm

Vijay, you have any pics of that bad boy yet?
Old 11-02-1999, 04:59 PM
mpm

Seems to me that as soon as the sun goes down they stay dimmed...
Old 11-02-1999, 05:09 PM
Dale W

Default Re: The mirrors are annoying...

I wasn't thrilled by the idea of "automatic dimming mirrors. But I have to say that they really work better than I could have imagined. I especially like the way the side mirrors cut out the glare from passed cars. (When you get to be an old fart like me your eyes don't adjust to light as quick)

Quick Reply: Why the S4 looses it's stealthyness at night...