S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

WTF, I put the car in to have a scheduled service done and to check a few things... *RANT*

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2002, 05:49 PM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTF, I put the car in to have a scheduled service done and to check a few things... *RANT*

dealer calls back and we end the phone call with me being charged almost $2,000! I'm having the scheduled mile service, the water pump replaced (small coolant leak) and the timing belt replacement (done early, on dealers recomendation). I also asked to have my brakes and shocks checked (tracked the car recently on stock brakes, wanted to have the pads replaced and the rotors checked) and the service lady says that all 4 of my rotors are "out of round" or something. I asked if she meant that they were warped and she didn't sound sure, but she said that's what she "thought." $1400 for new brakes all around!! WTF? I've had the car for maybe two months!

Then I asked her if just putting on aftermarket brakes would void my entire warranty. She says yes. Then I tell her that to void my warranty (which seems useless at this point anyway!) they have to prove that any aftermarked product I put on is the cause of any future problems. She agrees. At this point I'm becoming a little bit irked. I hang up after agreeing to have the work done, but I'm going to be calling back in the morning before they can touch the car to tell them not to do the brakes. I'm just going to put the aftermarket ones on and be done with it.

I asked her to have them check my F-hose (she didn't know what that was), my TBB and my DVs. I hope that doesn't come back as a $500 labor charge.

Interesting note: I left the car at the dealership late on Saturday afternoon, with a service paper on which I had written down everything that needed to be checked. The reason I left the car was because I am out of town for two weeks for the holidays and I needed this stuff done, a perfect time to do it. So I get 2 messages on my cell when the plane lands this morning from the service lady saying that they need to talk to me before they can touch the car.

I call her back (she doesn't pick up), I leave her a message saying that the charge for the water pump (the only damn thing ACTUALLY covered under my "warranty") and the scheduled service was fine (something like $400 with labor).

She calls back about 2 hours later or so to talk about what I needed done, already with the news that all 4 brake rotors and pads need to be replaced.... seems a little fishy to me that they ALREADY know that the most expensive thing that I need checked out does indeed need to be replaced. I was told on Saturday that it would be a few days before my car could even be looked at.... GRRRrrrr...
Old 12-23-2002, 06:01 PM

Default If your car is under warranty, the brakes should be free.

You should definitely have them replaced, free of charge, then get brake upgrade if you plan to track the car further. This way, you can sell your shiny new S4 brakes to a 2002 A4 owner. I got $450 for mine.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

That sucks, call AOA since you just bought the car.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:05 PM
Elder Member

Default You know what...

That was my plan exactly. I'm gonna have to raise some hell, not what I wanted to do, especailly considering that I really like the dealership that I'm using (no prior troubles). I should call up the service advisor I normally talk to, Desmond... hopefully he'll be able to work this out for me.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:05 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Not if he broke them on a track day

Track days void your warranty.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:12 PM

Default How do they know if they broke as a result of track use?

Unless of course you tell them, then you don't deserve free brakes, you deserve a dunce cap. I have a friend, who shall remain nameless, that blew his turbos and tore his TBB on separate track days (and his only ecu is APR) and he's gotten his car fixed under warranty.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Expert

If they went from new to old in two months, they know something is up
Old 12-23-2002, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They should be under warranty, period. Prove he was at the track! They give you one set of brakes

regardless.

Mike S
Old 12-23-2002, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default bullcrap

I was literally forced to get a quattro club membership when I bought my car... they can't freaking void my warranty if I go to a Q'club event (or any other track event) and damage my brakes there...

hell, I did just that, warped my brakes, and they replaced them NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

-T
Old 12-23-2002, 08:24 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Yes they can

Read the manual. Skim for "motorsport" and "competition." That includes QC events.

Quick Reply: WTF, I put the car in to have a scheduled service done and to check a few things... *RANT*