S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

your opinion on the following issue with APR- don't have my ECU back

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your opinion on the following issue with APR- don't have my ECU back

i had my ECU chipped by APR and had it returned to stock several months ago. this week was the first time that i could arrange for my ECU to be sent to them overnight, rechipped (and also have DTC 16985 permanently cleared), and sent back to me overnight.

i called them on monday and asked if i could send it the next day. it would arrive on wednesday in the morning and then they could overnight it back so i would get it on thursday. i told them it was imperative that i get it on thursday since i would be staying at the hospital on tuesday and wednesday night with no transportation. wednesday night was a call night so i had to be here anyway. in my mind, staying on tuesday was no big deal. i was not able to get a rental car and no one who lives near me has the same rotation schedule as me. i stressed this to the APR rep and he assured me that i would get my ECU back on thursday. i told him that i would call on wed. to make sure it got there okay. I HAVE HAD ONLY POSITIVE EXPERIENCE WITH APR IN THE PAST SO I WAS NOT DOUBTING OR CONCERNED AT ALL....

well, i sent it on tuesday and it did arrive at 9:44 am at APR's main office on wednesday (checked via UPS tracking). i called and spoke to the same person i did on monday. he said he was really busy and would check on my ECU's arrival "later." i called in early afternoon and got their automated voicemail. i left a message to be called. i was never contacted. i called several times in afternoon and no one picked up. i emailed the sales rep and cc'ed apr@goapr.com hoping someone could tell me what was up.

even without speaking to anyone, i assumed that i would be receiving my rechipped ECU on thursday (yesterday). 6 pm rolls around and no package. that is when, i think, i posted asking if anyone from APR was on forum. my concern was that APR's website says they would be closed from july 15 (yesterday) until july 19 for waterfest.

i sent an email again to APR. no response still. i am thinking there is the faintest of possibilities that they got my ECU packaged up after the last UPS pickup on wednesday and that it may have been up for overnight delivery but carrying over to thursday.

BUT i think my fear of having no ECU back until they get back from waterfest is coming true. so if they get back to 'bama on tuesday, 20th, that means i have no transportation until probably wednesday. luckily i have one call night this weekend but i am inconvenienced in regards to getting away from the hospital and getting things done. i will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon before i can get a rental car (hours are such that i can't go before i have to be here or after i am done since the rental places, and almost everything else for that matter, are closed)

now, what do y'all think about this? do you think this warrants my demanding some type of compensation IF i don't get my ECU today (again, faintest of possibilities)?

or am i unreasonable in considering the above?

this question also assumes that there was NOT an emergency that came up for the folks at APR on wed, of course.

let me know. thanks for reading and commenting (if you do).
Old 07-16-2004, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

where are you located? maybe someone can give you an ECU untill you get yours back..
Old 07-16-2004, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Sounds like bad timing on your part...

Not that you SHOULD have known, but I can't blame APR at all.

APR was getting ready for Waterfest, which from a business perspective is 100x more important than your ECU. Can't blame them for prioritizing, really.

It does suck that your S is down, though. Bad luck.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default respectfully disagree - nothing is 100X more important than customer service - I simply cannot......

understand why some of these rediculous "tuners" can't give honest answers....

I mean really, the guy he spoke with should have told him it was Waterfest and it simply cannot get done - maybe offered another option...who knows - but to promise something and not follow-up is just unreal. I don't care if it's an ECU or a stage III kit - some common courtesy would be nice.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I see what you're saying. Hard to compensate for the unforeseen.

I'm sure APR would have rather gotten the ECU returned back to the owner if they could have, but sometimes there are more important things that need to be done. One owner's bad experience is regrettable, but immaterial.

Waterfest is the largest VW/Audi meet (anywhere in the country, I think), it's important that a company like APR is 110% prepared for it.

It sucks, and it would have been better if APR said, "Well, we might not be able to get your ECU back to you." I wouldn't take the chance, personally.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The guy who he spoke with flat out ignored his responsibility to get back to the customer...........

Waterfest or not, a follow-up phone call should have been made - with a, "We're sorry about your trouble". And, they've known about Waterfest for a long, long time.

Honestly, they should have just told him to begin with that what he was asking for is not possible because of the timing and referred him to one of their dealers that might not have been going to Waterfest - any APR dealer should have been able to help him.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:08 AM

Default well, i agree that waterfest prep is more impt than my ECU; however...

i was assured that the work on it would be done and sent back to me. i knew waterfest was coming up and feared timing would be bad. well, it is the only time i could get it done.

now, i am stuck without any ride. i just found out that i may have to be here all day on saturday so i may not be able to get rental car.

argggg
Old 07-16-2004, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That's what I said at the end of my post.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:09 AM

well, i was told it would be no prob. so i sent my ECU off with no worries.
Old 07-16-2004, 08:11 AM

Default so do you think it is reasonable for me to ask....

for some type of compensation?

this is in light of guarantee it would be back with me on thurs.

or is that preposterous?

Quick Reply: your opinion on the following issue with APR- don't have my ECU back