S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 - engine doesn't always start 1st time

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 S6 - engine doesn't always start 1st time

Lile the title says.
I can walk out to the car, no difference in weather, and sometimes it won't start.
Can be cold, hot, rainy, sunny, what ever.
It's not bad gas, It happens on Shell and Sunoco.
Recently, I left foot brake and right foot gas it when I start it to make sure it doesn't die, and I don't feel quite as embarrassed. Haha
If it does not start the first time it takes about 5 seconds the second time for it to start.

No codes on Vagcom.

APR stage 3 tune with RS turbos. The problem started a few months ago and I only has stage 2 tuning, but had the RS7 turbos in there since August with no issues.

I contacted APR to see what spark plugs are recomended. Got some Denso IKH24s on the way.
I'm thinking it could be clogged fuel filter, or weak fuel pump. Not really sure

opinions?
Old 04-16-2018, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had this exact issue on my '13 S6. They had my car 3 separate times until they diagnosed this to be a defect in the high pressure fuel lines (or injectors, they were vague about the repair). Since the replacement, I've had no further restart issues.

Until the fix, I was able to work around the issue by starting with the gas pedal pressed as well as the brake. The additional gas would "catch" the starter and it would start correctly.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by txgriz
I had this exact issue on my '13 S6. They had my car 3 separate times until they diagnosed this to be a defect in the high pressure fuel lines (or injectors, they were vague about the repair). Since the replacement, I've had no further restart issues.

Until the fix, I was able to work around the issue by starting with the gas pedal pressed as well as the brake. The additional gas would "catch" the starter and it would start correctly.
Any chance you have some paperwork stating exactly what they fixed? I don't mind tackling anything but id love to do one thing and not 5 lol

thanks in advance.

Russell
Old 04-19-2018, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Russjameson
Any chance you have some paperwork stating exactly what they fixed? I don't mind tackling anything but id love to do one thing and not 5 lol

thanks in advance.

Russell
I have to go in today, by chance, so I'll ask if they can give me a more complete write-up.
Old 05-14-2018, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by txgriz
I have to go in today, by chance, so I'll ask if they can give me a more complete write-up.
Any update on what the dealer said caused the problem. It's really starting to annoy me. Lll
Old 05-27-2018, 06:27 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Russjameson
Any update on what the dealer said caused the problem. It's really starting to annoy me. Lll
Sorry for the late response. I asked my dealer for the technicians notes of that service and they told me that they didn't have them on-site. I'm not sure why they don't seem willing to share this info with me but I would have your dealership service shop call Audi South Austin (TX) and ask to speak with the service manager there. Their head technician, Omar, worked this issue for me and he worked with engineers from Audi in Germany to root cause this for me.

Good luck.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone else have this issue. I really would love to figure it out, without taking it to the stealership.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think you mentioned in another thread you are in Virginia Beach.

Have you considered bring it to Racewerks? They have Audi technicians there and would probably be better able to handle the mods you have. Cheaper than checkered flag.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AugusTT
I think you mentioned in another thread you are in Virginia Beach.

Have you considered bring it to Racewerks? They have Audi technicians there and would probably be better able to handle the mods you have. Cheaper than checkered flag.
I got tuned at Raceworks. The guy further down had this same issue, but he went back 3 times. I'm just trying to pinpoint it so I can fix it myself.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought a used 2014 S6 with 50k and it's been doing that since I have owned it for about 4 months now. It will start fine 10-15 times and then you'll have the one time when it takes 2-3 start/stops and some gas on the throttle to get it to start up. Glad at least I know what MIGHT be the problem. I'm not going to take it in unless there are other major issues going on with it, as it doesn;'t happen too often. Good luck with yours!

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 - engine doesn't always start 1st time