S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2016 Sepang Blue S6 Delivered

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by amelen
I've had the individual on all "dynamic" - which pretty much defeats the purpose of "individual" lol. However, on the drive to work today, I tried putting the engine/transmission into "comfort". For typical highway driving, I don't think I need it that aggressive. I hit it into "S" for aggressive driving.

I still have to try it out a little bit, but it seemed like having the engine/transmission in "dynamic" was keeping it from going to 4cyl mode on the highway and I was ending up with 19mpg during highway 60mph cruising.
Yeah, I think being in S prevents V4 mode. 19mpg is pretty bad for highway cruising. Was the engine warmed up? I've found out that the best way to get good mileage out of this thing for short drives is to actually drive the first 60 seconds semi-aggressively to heat it up quickly.

I did my normal drive to work today and hit 22.1MPG, even after the 8% negative correction I made last weekend. That same drive was about 16MPG in my Infiniti G35x.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jasonlitka
Yeah, I think being in S prevents V4 mode. 19mpg is pretty bad for highway cruising. Was the engine warmed up? I've found out that the best way to get good mileage out of this thing for short drives is to actually drive the first 60 seconds semi-aggressively to heat it up quickly.

I did my normal drive to work today and hit 22.1MPG, even after the 8% negative correction I made last weekend. That same drive was about 16MPG in my Infiniti G35x.
Yeah, I know S mode turns it off but it seems like dynamic engine mode makes it turn on less often.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I know S mode turns it off but it seems like dynamic engine mode makes it turn on less often.
I've been driving the past week or so exclusively in Dynamic, 95% of the time in D rather than S, and I spend a good amount of time in V4 mode. It even stays there during mild acceleration.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've been driving the past week or so exclusively in Dynamic, 95% of the time in D rather than S, and I spend a good amount of time in V4 mode. It even stays there during mild acceleration.
I have to watch it again, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's never in v4 mode even though my commute is mostly highway cruising.
Old 05-01-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have to watch it again, I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it's never in v4 mode even though my commute is mostly highway cruising.
Try setting the cruise at 80 and letting it drive for a bit. I did that from King of Prussia to Exton earlier and I think I spent 75% of the trip on 202 on 4 cylinders. If it's still not cutting back there may be something off...
Old 05-01-2015, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Try setting the cruise at 80 and letting it drive for a bit. I did that from King of Prussia to Exton earlier and I think I spent 75% of the trip on 202 on 4 cylinders. If it's still not cutting back there may be something off...
And you were in Dynamic engine mode, right? How many miles did you have on the car? I tried cruise control at 75mph and it barely went into 4cyl mode (less than 10 percent of the time). Start stop seems to barely turn on too, maybe it was just more intrusive on the porsche or maybe the car hasn't fully broken in yet.
Old 05-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Mine only seems to go into 4c when I am going downhill on highway. If the road slopes up at all I switch back even when maintaining speed.
Old 05-03-2015, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am still awaiting delivery of the Sepang Blue S6, can't wait. That's very coincidental, jasonlitka my dad and I love our 07' g35x.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Yeah, I think being in S prevents V4 mode.

This is not true. The ONLY way to prevent 4 cylinder mode is to accelerate. Even in S mode, if you are cruising at constant speed the 4 cylinders will shut down.

I know this is a fact because back in March I was entering a car audio show in Daytona. One of the rules was you had to have less than 1/4 tank of gasoline to be allowed to drive into the arena. I had too much gas in my car, and had to burn off the extra fuel. I put the car into S mode because I thought it would prevent 4 cylinder mode. It doesn't.

I had to constantly increase and decrease speed in order to keep the all 8 cylinders firing. It was a pain in the *** trying to get my fuel mileage to be low. I ended up getting off the highway and running the car in manual mode at low gears to keep the RPMs up. It took me about 2+ hours of driving around in circles to burn off enough fuel to get into the arena that day.
Old 05-04-2015, 04:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And you were in Dynamic engine mode, right? How many miles did you have on the car? I tried cruise control at 75mph and it barely went into 4cyl mode (less than 10 percent of the time). Start stop seems to barely turn on too, maybe it was just more intrusive on the porsche or maybe the car hasn't fully broken in yet.
Dynamic, but with the transmission in D, not S. About 600 miles, but my car spent a decent amount of time on V4 on the original ride home.

Quick Reply: 2016 Sepang Blue S6 Delivered