S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017
View Poll Results: Which car should I choose, given the situation?
Keep the S3, bigger isn't better.
0%
S6
96.43%
A6 Competition
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

2017 A6 Competition vs S6

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 A6 Competition vs S6

Hi guys, wanted to share my situation and get your thoughts.

Currently have a '15 SQ5 and '15 S3. My wife predominantly drives the SQ5, even though I bought the S3 for her. (Her loss? But really who's complaining with either car?) We just had our 2nd child which means we've got a 2nd rear-facing car seat to deal with. I'm 6'3" but have made the SQ5 work... barely. The S3 is a GREAT car that is a blast to drive. It's small, tossable, and FAST. Unfortunately, there is no way I can get the 2nd behind me. Believe me, I've tried. So, with comparable interior dimensions to the SQ5, I've started looking at the S6. Was pretty set on it, but now I see that for 2017, they will be offering an A6 Competition which excites me. I like a lot that it has to offer, but I'd have to give up that "sweet music to my ears" V8.

I'm trying to weigh if the engine alone is worth the splurge or if I should invest that money elsewhere and be happy with what the A6 has to offer. I'm a bit of an "S" snob, in the sense that I typically wouldn't even consider a non-S A or Q, but I may just need to get over it. I have the budget to cover either, but that doesn't mean I don't want to make the right decision.

Thoughts? What would YOU do in my shoes?

Picture for interest. :-)

Last edited by BlackAce; 05-26-2016 at 07:21 AM.
Old 05-26-2016, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

How about an S7?????? Not sure what the budget is like but I can tell you the difference between the supercharged V6 and twin turbo V8 is night and day IMO. For me I was all about the S6 for budget reasons (couldn't wrap my head around huge payment). Drove the S6 and fell in love with the engine but then saw an S7 in the showroom and it got me thinking. I ended up getting a 2016 S7 and couldn't be happier, the extra money, (roughly 10K) is worth it in my opinion for the styling alone. The looks i get in this car amazing! I just feel the S6 kind of blends into the pack a little bit where the S7 is something you dont see everyday. Just my .002
Old 05-26-2016, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for that. Fully aware of the S7 as an option, but I'm really not a big fan of the look, and my wife feels much more strongly than I do on it, so it's a no-go.
Old 05-26-2016, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by djpeaksd
How about an S7?????? Not sure what the budget is like but I can tell you the difference between the supercharged V6 and twin turbo V8 is night and day IMO. For me I was all about the S6 for budget reasons (couldn't wrap my head around huge payment). Drove the S6 and fell in love with the engine but then saw an S7 in the showroom and it got me thinking. I ended up getting a 2016 S7 and couldn't be happier, the extra money, (roughly 10K) is worth it in my opinion for the styling alone. The looks i get in this car amazing! I just feel the S6 kind of blends into the pack a little bit where the S7 is something you dont see everyday. Just my .002
djspeaksd - I am shocked to hear you say such things about an S6 given I am a fellow resonator delete Audi friend ! Just kidding

I agree with everything djpeaksd said. The S7 is beautiful, and if the price point was equal, I probably would have gotten the S7. That said, here in orange county it is the land of BMW's; I probably see one Audi for every ten beamers. So, if I see ANY Audi, whether it be new or a 2002 1.8T A4, it makes me happy. I probably see an A6 5 times a month, and an S6 every 3-4 months.

To answer your actual question, that is a tough pickle. The A6 is a beautiful car, and the 3.0T is a very strong motor. It is certainly a nicer car than 90% of those out there. Personally, if I was in your shoes, I'd spend the $ and get the S which you are more akin to. You won't regret it. Even my S6 turns heads (especially after removing the resonator!).

If it helps, there is $1500 finance/lease cash and a $1000 rebate for your S3 (whether you trade or not). If you lease, money factor is 0.00014 (converts to .36% - very good) and residual is 53% for 10k miles per year. I got my S6 three weeks ago, and got 6.7% off MSRP (before rebates). These factors are on a '16 model if you can find one. Even on the '17 A6, if you work it, dealers will do 10%+ off MSRP, atleast in my area.

Good luck, either way you can't go wrong, and congrats on the new little one !
Old 05-26-2016, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackAce
Thanks for that. Fully aware of the S7 as an option, but I'm really not a big fan of the look, and my wife feels much more strongly than I do on it, so it's a no-go.
Actually thats my bad! I thought you were comparing an A7 competition to an S6. I just misread your post.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Power on tap with the V-8 is what makes the car. If you don't get it you will just wish you had.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 491 Likes on 335 Posts

The A6 Competition has been out in Europe since last year (although it uses the 3.0TDI bi-turbo, slightly tweaked, which has way more torque than the 4.0TT in the S6).

I've had a good look at it, but didn't bother driving as I am not a big diesel fan, and it is 99% S6 in terms of looks/features, so represents good value. Not sure of pricing relativity in the US.

But for me, the defining feature of the S6 is the engine rather than the seats/trim/wheels etc. Not that there is anything wrong with the 3.0TFSI (I have two of them), and I assume that is what you have in your SQ5 (bi-turbo diesel everywhere else). In real world practice, the 3.0TFSI in the A6 has more performance than most will ever need. But if V8 character sings to you which it seems it does, it is hard to ignore.

The other difference, which might not apply in the US given how Audi America pre-package the cars and restrict options, is that the A6 Competition can be had with either S line lowered steel suspension, or air suspension. Whereas the S6 is only available with air suspension, which I find very comfortable, but a bit soft.

Still, a short test drive in the S6 is probably all thats needed to determine whether the V8 is worth it for you.

Given your comments on the S3, I would very strongly recommend you get the rear torque vectoring sports differential (I think in the US you have to buy a pack to get it) whichever way you go. And if you get the S6, you really need the sports exhaust if you want to hear any of that sweet music.

And finally, given your photo, you will be happiest with the model that has the silver mirrors - get the S6
Old 05-26-2016, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an s3 and loved it!! But it was just to small with a 7 yo who is not getting any smaller!! I would do either one ! I love my a6 but if price is no object get s6
Old 05-27-2016, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I came from a 3.0T A6. Great engine, that 3.0T; I don't know too much about the "competition version". Then, I test drove the S6 one day when I was dropping off my A6 for service. The 4.0T engine with the sports pkg. is a bit addictive, to say the least. I ended up with a S6 2 days later. Go for a test drive and decide for yourself.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackAce
The same with my wife and me. Cannot live with S7 just because of exterior back. Th back is so sad, I do not know who designed it, but it is just total fail for me. If I can buy front half of car...nice.

Quick Reply: 2017 A6 Competition vs S6