S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2017 S6 Sports Pkg / Sports Diff, Throttle Delay

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 S6 Sports Pkg / Sports Diff, Throttle Delay

Hi All,

I'm in the process of learning about the S6 and am looking at a barely used 2017. It appears to have the black optic pkg despite the listing saying it has 19" wheels....the pictures look like 20". Is there anyway to tell if it has the rear sports differential? The VIN decoder says it has power assist speed sensing steering...so hoping it does have the sports diff with the sports package. Is there any certain way to tell?

On another note, I was a little surprised by the throttle delay (even though I had read about it), and then the turbo lag as well. I had it in dynamic, but not in sports on the shifter....might try that and see if it helps. I read conflicting info on the web whether dynamic automatically selects sports mode.

Really want to like this car (S6 overall, not just this particular used one). I'm considering replacing a 04 M3 and looking to get something more comfortable for commuting and something my wife doesn't mind driving with the kids when the other two cars are in the shop.

Thx.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:53 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by m444

I always leave throttle & exhaust setting in auto on the individual setting. I typically just pull the shifter back into sport mode.

If the 2016 S6 has the sport differential, then it has the sport exhaust, which means you can hear the difference to normal auto mode & sport mode. Also the the individual mode has options showing sport differential & exhaust settings.

With the EPL stage 1 ECU & TCU in sport mode the throttle delay is much reduced.
Thanks for the reply. I will look in the individual settings.

How much approximately for the stage 1 tunes?....I assume they void the warranty though?
Old 06-17-2018, 07:36 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

The throttle response of the S6 will never be as lightning quick as the straight six in the '04 M3.
The S6 is a big heavy beast...as other's described, more of a sledgehammer and comparing to an M3 it is just too different.
Old 06-17-2018, 08:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Another way to tell if a post facelift car has sports package (sports diff & exhaust) is by the black colored exhaust tips, cars without the sports package have silver/chrome exhaust tips.

Pre-facelift cars all have chrome exhaust but the sports package was standard on all US cars then.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Another way to tell if a post facelift car has sports package (sports diff & exhaust) is by the black colored exhaust tips, cars without the sports package have silver/chrome exhaust tips.

Pre-facelift cars all have chrome exhaust but the sports package was standard on all US cars then.
thanks. That helps. I am looking at it again today and will take a look.
Old 06-17-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by gk1
The throttle response of the S6 will never be as lightning quick as the straight six in the '04 M3.
The S6 is a big heavy beast...as other's described, more of a sledgehammer and comparing to an M3 it is just too different.
Yeah, I don’t really expect to be as good as the M3, but I did expect it to better than our 35i X5 and it doesn’t seem like it was at least on the initial drive. (And I was always bummed about the delay on the X5)
Old 06-17-2018, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dnadrifter

thanks. That helps. I am looking at it again today and will take a look.
Looks like it may not have the sports package. Chrome tips. There are settings for the engine sound though....comfort, auto and dynamic. ??

Old 06-17-2018, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, that looks like a car without the sports package.

Here’s what my MMI looks like for comparison

Old 06-17-2018, 04:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Tinbad
Yeah, that looks like a car without the sports package.

Here’s what my MMI looks like for comparison
Super helpful. Thx!

Gonna pass on this one. The dealer put some weird smelling freshener in it, despite only 5K miles....I was gonna have to pay a premium on miles that low too. (63K). On the plus side my wife liked the car and the way it drove, so the S6 as a car is looking like a good option for us.

Imsee you you are in the SF east bay.... nice. Me as well!
Old 06-17-2018, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dnadrifter

Super helpful. Thx!

Gonna pass on this one. The dealer put some weird smelling freshener in it, despite only 5K miles....I was gonna have to pay a premium on miles that low too. (63K). On the plus side my wife liked the car and the way it drove, so the S6 as a car is looking like a good option for us.

Imsee you you are in the SF east bay.... nice. Me as well!
NP. I would definitely recommend finding one with the sports package. An S6 without it is IMO just an A6 with a bigger engine and air suspension. Not unique to the sports package but the one thing I absolutely love are the diamond stickers sport seats, however my wife doesn’t like them. She didn’t notice it during test drives but on longer drives her back will hurt, because of her relatively short height the bolsters are too aggressive on her shoulders, anyway just something to keep in mind. She also says it’s worse when I drive, but I still blame the car

Cool, another S6 would be a welcome sight on Eastbay streets. I live in CV area and there’s usually a gorgeous pre-facelift blue S6 parked by the Chase bank on CV Blvd but other than that I hardly ever see them.

Quick Reply: 2017 S6 Sports Pkg / Sports Diff, Throttle Delay