S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

APR Mobile Dongle Install Advice (Android)

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APR Mobile Dongle Install Advice (Android)

Hey, Folks. Just found out some useful info regarding APR's mobile dongle I thought might be useful for anyone struggling to get it to connect using an Android device. Yes, I'm going to say "dongle" quite a few more times...

As some folks probably know, the APR mobile dongle is currently in beta testing for Android devices. What that means is it may or may not work with your device depending on your model and what version of Android you're running. There's a firmware update needed to get most Android devices to pair up successfully, you just can't get to it without using an iOS device for the initial pairing and firmware flash to the dongle. So, here's what you need to do:

1. Plug the dongle into the ODBII port and turn the ignition to ACC or start to power both the dongle and your ECM up.

2. Use an iOS device (acceptable Apple products are listed on their website) to connect via bluetooth to the dongle. I borrowed a friends iPhone for this part, only took 5 mins from start to finish.

3. Once paired, the dongle is now locked to your specific vehicle ECM serial number. However, you can bluetooth to the dongle from numerous devices so don't worry.

4. Install and start the APR Mobile app on the iOS device, it should immediately notify you of a firmware update. Download and flash the dongle with this update.

5. Once completed, test the iOS device reads your ECM tunes and DTCs properly and everything works.

6. Now disconnect the iOS device, delete the bluetooth pairing for the APR dongle, and uninstall the app. You shouldn't need the iOS device anymore.

7. You should now be able to pair the dongle with your Android device, install the app, and use the app as advertised. May may have to toggle back and forth from the home screen to EMCS page to refresh once in awhile, but has been working great for me otherwise.

Hope this helps someone out, can be quite frustrating due to no instructions being provided by APR on this device.