S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi RS6 exhaust crackling popping to S6

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 09:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi RS6 exhaust crackling popping to S6

I am curious whether someone knows if the Audi RS6 C7 exhaust crackling popping can be programmed for our S6 C7 models.

Would someone be able to tell me if its a ECU tune that is required for this burble crackling to happen or is it something else that is exclusive to the RS6?
Old 05-13-2016, 05:46 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

It is a different exhaust...so short answer is no, ECU tune will not achieve that sound...and if the one you heard was really aggressive it may have been the Akrapovic option that is available from Audi in some countries.
You can buy it aftermarket as well.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok if it is just the exhaust which makes the crackling and popping then that means if I fit an Audi RS6 C7 exhaust I should get the same.

I don't believe that completely as that would be too simple, there is surely something else behind the scenes
Old 05-13-2016, 07:16 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by Martin89
Ok if it is just the exhaust which makes the crackling and popping then that means if I fit an Audi RS6 C7 exhaust I should get the same.

I don't believe that completely as that would be too simple, there is surely something else behind the scenes
Here is the same Akra system on an S7...may be the way the valves in the exhaust behave to create the popping...
Stock RS6/7 perhaps has different valve behavior on coast/downshift than S6....

Maybe someone with aftermarket exhaust will chime in if theirs does this as well...
Old 05-13-2016, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Over-run crackle/popping is often a function of ECU tuning. Cars that exhibit this behaviour (e.g. many Porsches, Jags, Audi RS7) primarily do so because the ECU introduces a few drops of fuel late in the combustion cycle, fuel which then ignites in the exhaust stream. Sure, you can exacerbate or mask this sound with exhaust system design, but an wholistic approach must be used for maximum effect.

As an example, on Porsche forums, some owners of the Cayman GTS complain that the popping is too regular and artificial sounding. On the other hand, the GT4 is much more subdued and natural sounding, even though the PSE (Porsche Sport Exhaust) is identical between these two cars. In case you're wondering if the 400 ccs of displacement are a root cause for the difference, the new Spyder (which has the identical drivetrain to the GT4) is as over-enthusiastic in the burble department as the GTS. The difference can only be due to ECU programming.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

That's what was my thinking Deerhunter, it cant just be the exhaust causing the overrun crackle and popping.

I wonder if APR would be able to tune this into the ECU, I would definitely pay to have it done.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 585 Likes on 490 Posts

They did this on Mini S's too--in the model change from 2010 to 2011 where the motor was slightly tweaked. We had a 2010. The exhaust was the same, but it was something in the ECU programming--late fuel and maybe even a second spark firing. Given it was systematic of sorts even if not meant to be "regular," you can guess there was something in the algorithm to mix it up a bit timing wise.

During warm up, the air injection system is designed to create secondary combustion after the cylinders and in front of the converters, so the components are probably also generally made to deal with the stresses, heat, etc. Not clear to me though they ever passed it by EPA--which under current circumstances is something VW/Audi may want to minimize...

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 05-13-2016 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:15 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I find that my stock S6 does make the "crackling popping" sound when the exhaust is in the Dynamic mode. Maybe not quite as loud as in the videos, but definitely there.

Chris JB

2016 S6 Prestige - Tornado Gray Metallic, Black Optic Package, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Side Airbags, Layered Aluminum/Black Wood inlay
Old 05-13-2016, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris JB
I find that my stock S6 does make the "crackling popping" sound when the exhaust is in the Dynamic mode. Maybe not quite as loud as in the videos, but definitely there.
My thinking is that they tweaked the ECU for the .2 S6 (and, at the same time, offered a sport exhaust option). My .1 is pretty much burble-free, regardless of which mode I'm in.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

And mine has the sport exhaust...

Chris JB

2016 S6 Prestige - Tornado Gray Metallic, Black Optic Package, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Side Airbags, Layered Aluminum/Black Wood inlay

Quick Reply: Audi RS6 exhaust crackling popping to S6