S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Black Emblems

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2018, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE

I absolutely would not use a heat gun on a car’s paint, but that’s just me.

i personally found that the best way to get the adhesive residue off was to make a sticky ball of adhesive and use it to dab off the rest of the gunk. It takes some patience but it works and does not mar the paint.

you can clay bar as the final step, too To get the last of the residue off.
Using clean fresh latex gloves and a clean cotton shop rags can help with rubbing off the residual double sided tape. The residual glue can be removed with Turtle wax bug/tar remover & then alcohol.
Old 07-03-2018, 02:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I am new here. This may be blasphemy, but for $7 and an hour of your time, Plasti Dip works great and is reversible should you want to return to chrome.

Old 07-03-2018, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by stamsd
I know I am new here. This may be blasphemy, but for $7 and an hour of your time, Plasti Dip works great and is reversible should you want to return to chrome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY4W...&frags=pl%2Cwn
I bit the bullet and ends up buying the TAG Motor Sports emblems. I don't regret it, they were literally perfectly done. When I look at this plasti-dip it's like fascinating to watch him actually do it. It looks good, I guess I wonder how well it adheres long term, like through out a winter season and such.
Old 07-03-2018, 03:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have used Plasti Dip on my Wrangler with excellent results. It goes on super easy. I did it 2 years ago and have not had to touch it since. It's been through the car wash dozens of times. The cool part about this stuff is that if you do have to do touch up ever, you just shoot over what's already on there. If you want to remove it you can either use a safety pin to tear it and peel off (like the guy does with the excess), or use a petroleum based solvent on a rag or Qtip to get it started.