S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Death to Cylinder Deactivation

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 19hole
I just don't see the issue with this feature. I can never tell when it has turned on or off, the car just pulls strong every time I ask it to. I see no practical reason to disable it.
thats because you are on a factory exhaust and intake, upgrade those and it then makes the most obnoxious sound that ruins the experience all together.
Old 04-27-2017, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by richib86
thats because you are on a factory exhaust and intake, upgrade those and it then makes the most obnoxious sound that ruins the experience all together.
I have the roc euro intake , milltek sport + apr dp and I don't find obnoxious at all! Just another crackling on top of the normal as a extra bonus .Reason nr.1 people are buying milltek sport valve sonic exhaust : cracklings . By the way , when I had magnaflow exhaust , I could't hear any difference at all

Last edited by Sport Line; 04-27-2017 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-08-2017, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Been awhile since I checked this topic, having a kid will do that to a hobby/disease/whatever you call what I have... Still desiring manual control of COD function, anyone have anything to report on having tuned/programmed out permanently?
Old 01-01-2018, 07:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
Transmission in S? If the transmission is not in S, then the engine is not in Dynamic mode, even if Dynamic is selected in Drive Select.
Before a recap, it makes no sense Dynamic Drive Select does nothing without the tranny in S mode; Why the hell it's listed on the MMI then? I guess same thing if you choose 'comfort' and tranny is in S mode. Will have to try that just for kicks later on. Anyway, let's continue.
- If you want manual dynamic mode, put tranny in S mode first, then switch over to manual mode. Didn't know this, and was wondering why tranny blipped the throttle in S mode but not in manual. Now I know. He he.
- If you want to avoid COD, choose dynamic mode and if necessary, ESC in sport mode. By the way, you cannot turn ESC off on this car, correct? I tried holding button forever, and nothing. It doesn't say off; just 'sport', so I assume all nannies are still in place, but just with a higher leeway, no? Maybe just TC off. Manual doesn't specify this.
- The good news is on S6s, the start/stop stays off permanently, contrary to A6s. And yes, since COD is part of the reduced fuel consumption, no way to disable it. I'm surprised S/S can still be permanently turned off (nice).
- I haven't felt any 4-cyl mode yet. Maybe it's prevented on break-in? There're no dash lights, correct? I wanted to bypass the muffler valves to have them always on, but would the exhaust sound weird during COD? I don't hear much rumble inside the cabin when valves open around 3.5K rpm, so if easy to do, would like to just disconnect the valves (put a golf tee into the vacuum lines and ziptie them somewhere), if they're not clamped with metal clamps, like on Porsches. On Ferraris, they're easy to remove (no clamps at all). Thanks.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Before a recap, it makes no sense Dynamic Drive Select does nothing without the tranny in S mode; Why the hell it's listed on the MMI then? I guess same thing if you choose 'comfort' and tranny is in S mode. Will have to try that just for kicks later on. Anyway, let's continue.
- If you want manual dynamic mode, put tranny in S mode first, then switch over to manual mode. Didn't know this, and was wondering why tranny blipped the throttle in S mode but not in manual. Now I know. He he.
- If you want to avoid COD, choose dynamic mode and if necessary, ESC in sport mode. By the way, you cannot turn ESC off on this car, correct? I tried holding button forever, and nothing. It doesn't say off; just 'sport', so I assume all nannies are still in place, but just with a higher leeway, no? Maybe just TC off. Manual doesn't specify this.
- The good news is on S6s, the start/stop stays off permanently, contrary to A6s. And yes, since COD is part of the reduced fuel consumption, no way to disable it. I'm surprised S/S can still be permanently turned off (nice).
- I haven't felt any 4-cyl mode yet. Maybe it's prevented on break-in? There're no dash lights, correct? I wanted to bypass the muffler valves to have them always on, but would the exhaust sound weird during COD? I don't hear much rumble inside the cabin when valves open around 3.5K rpm, so if easy to do, would like to just disconnect the valves (put a golf tee into the vacuum lines and ziptie them somewhere), if they're not clamped with metal clamps, like on Porsches. On Ferraris, they're easy to remove (no clamps at all). Thanks.
The S6/7 exhaust valves work very differently to the RS and other cars. They are basically open all of the time and only close in 4 cylinder mode, to give the engine more back pressure. In comfort mode they also close at high RPM's. Forcing them open will have little effect on the sound in the cabin and will make 4 cylinder mode far more noticeable. They are also electric valves and not vacuum.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you for the explanation. Will leave them alone then. It's just slightly artificial to hear the change in exhaust sound all of a sudden at certain rpm; that's all. But the difference is subtle, so that doesn't annoy me that much. It's an awesome machine. Now that I learned I wasn't driving in dynamic mode since I put lever in manual from D, excited to try dynamic manual next time I drive the car. Should do the aggressive throttle blip more pronounced, like in S mode then. Cool. But surprised why it's even listed in the MMI if dependent on tranny mode; kind of stupid then, if you ask me. Maybe there're still differences???
Old 01-01-2018, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Thank you for the explanation. Will leave them alone then. It's just slightly artificial to hear the change in exhaust sound all of a sudden at certain rpm; that's all. But the difference is subtle, so that doesn't annoy me that much. It's an awesome machine. Now that I learned I wasn't driving in dynamic mode since I put lever in manual from D, excited to try dynamic manual next time I drive the car. Should do the aggressive throttle blip more pronounced, like in S mode then. Cool. But surprised why it's even listed in the MMI if dependent on tranny mode; kind of stupid then, if you ask me. Maybe there're still differences???
If you select dynamic or individual (with dynamic engine selected) you will get everything for that mode, but when you restart the car the engine setting defaults to comfort (D mode in the trans). Eveything else you can see in individual will be enabled to the mode you are in (like suspension, steering, sport diff etc.).
Old 01-02-2018, 04:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Default COD deactivation

i followed this thread before I ordered my S8, and I'm pleased to report that COD can be completely deactivated by doing two things: putting transmission in S or S/manual after pressing the Stability control button. This doesn't completely deactivate stability control, but simply engages a Sport level traction control. I get a message that Sport traction control is established and Brake Guard is deactivated when I am in this setup. No need to be in Dynamic, or have the engine/transmission in individual Dynamic.

I used this deactivation process throughout the breakin period because I felt like breaking in all cylinders the same. But I must admit, going to cylinder deactivation mode is imperceptible to me.

The S8 uses a different transmission than the S6, not the DCF or whatever it's called, but that doesn't seem to make any difference with respect to the COD override. In fact, the S8 transmission does not even have stop/start. No button, no nothing.
Mike

Last edited by Mike911A8; 01-02-2018 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-02-2018, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm a bit confused now, as far as the engine/transmission setting: What's the difference between 'dynamic' and 'D Sport'? Shouldn't be one and the same? Will check my car to see if enabling the 'dynamic' mode turns on the 'S' mode on the tranny. But if not, then what is it doing? Or more specific, what are the differences among these combinations?
Dynamic mode with D
Dynamic mode with S
comfort/auto mode with S

And glad to know with TC in sport mode deactivates 'brake guard', which I assume is automatic braking if the car thinks you're going to hit something, correct? I hate that feature, since it can actually cause an accident if you make even a semi-aggressive passing move that unfortunately, you have to make by the dozens in this area where people just park their cars on the left lane. Was wondering if it was a way to turn it off, since I didn't see where to do it.

As far as you S8 not having start/stop, I'm almost sure it does, but you might not have the ability to turn it off anymore. If your S6s have it, your car has it for sure as it's the same engine, and Audi got credit for the perceived fuel economy savings... although I don't know what the hell happened that Audi revised the fuel economy for my car from 19/27 to 18/24. Doesn't make sense. Does anybody know why?
Old 01-02-2018, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts

Maybe the S6 is different insofar as drive select is concerned, but I doubt it. So to deactivate COD , forget about Dynamic,comfort or auto in the drive select function. It's irrelevant for this purpose.

Here is what I suggest you try the next time you start your car. In this order, first push the stability control button. A light should illuminate on the dash somewhere. Next, put your gear select in S , or enter M from S. If you push the stability button to turn stability off after you are already in S on your transmission, COD will remain in play until the transmission drops down to second gear, after which COD will remain deactivated.

I hope this works for you. It should.

As as for the start/stop, I shouldn't have bothered to mention it, but it was referenced previously in this thread. Here's the deal. In the regular A8 the specs expressly state the inclusion of stop/start with the 4.0 engine, and there is a button on the dash for the purpose of activation/deactivation of S/S.
In the S8+ a different version of the eight speed transmission is used, and stop/start is not included at all in the S8+. No buttons. The brochure spells this out. Mike

Quick Reply: Death to Cylinder Deactivation