S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

The definitive word on the "throttle lag" issue (hopefully)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
Here's the definitive answer

One pertains to the engagement disengagement of the DSG clutch packs when you're at certain RPMs. This happens because within a certain window, the car will begin to upshift of downshift to a different gear if you're off throttle. This will cause disengagement, and if you press the pedal in that gear again, there will be a delay for it to re-engage the clutch packs. Some of this is remedied with how we re-calibrate the torque requests in the S-Tronic transmission software, however it's impossible to remove all of this type of behavior. The second "item of delay" relates to the drive-by-wire throttle mapping on direct injection vehicles. OEMs use certain calibration tricks to tip toe around federal regulations for emissions.
I won't argue that the clutch may be disengaged while braking at slow speeds, but does it really take seconds for the transmission to react to reapplication of the throttle after braking? With its propensity to start in 2nd gear (if you don't come to a complete stop for more than a half second) I expect the transmission to remain in 2nd gear as I'm slowing down, needing only to re-engage the clutch when I reapply throttle.

The "2nd item" is more plausible to me. I hope that folks report that the DSG tune eliminates this.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong but turbo lag is effectively reduced power until the turbo spools up and not zero response. The issue I have with my s6 is no throttle response for 1-2 seconds when getting back on the throttle after slowing to say 20km/hr. Its dangerous. When at a complete stop I shift into manual to have some reasonable throttle response otherwise this too is dangerous when pulling into heavy traffic. Come on Audi - this needs attention before someone gets hurt.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dannybear
Correct me if I am wrong but turbo lag is effectively reduced power until the turbo spools up and not zero response. The issue I have with my s6 is no throttle response for 1-2 seconds when getting back on the throttle after slowing to say 20km/hr. Its dangerous. When at a complete stop I shift into manual to have some reasonable throttle response otherwise this too is dangerous when pulling into heavy traffic. Come on Audi - this needs attention before someone gets hurt.
Completely agree.

For an 'S' car, I find the lack of throttle response not only a safety issue, but it also ruins any fun the car might provide in anything other than a straight line. It is a wonderful GT car, great for soaking up the miles and commuting to and from work. Throw in a 90 degree corner though and the car is just an embarrassment to the 'S' car heritage.

If I don't get an acknowledgment from Audi and recall or fix by late Spring I've decided to sell and purchase something else.

I've learned my lesson when it comes to buying cars without long extensive test drives. I'll never buy another vehicle without putting the vehicle through a rigorous trial. With the S6, I only had a short drive before I placed the order. I won't make this mistake again.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
#2 is also my experience. I bought a new brake light sensor for $15 on eBay: going to try that as one poster in the other thread said that was the problem with his Q7.
FYI: I finally got around to replacing the brake light sensor switch on the off chance that this corrected the "hesitation" issue seen when trying to accelerate after just having applied the brake. I notice no difference in the behavior after having replaced the switch: I still have a frequent hesitation when slowing (such as for a red light) and then trying to apply the throttle (such as if the light then turns green).

Too bad, that would have been an easy $15 fix.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hello, my car is now on 80.000 km's
I had the problem from day one.
Yesterday i got a new mechatronic unit (part of the s-tronic gearbox) (warranty) the problem of a delayed gas response and jerky drive from stop is 100% solved !!!!

It feels like i'm driving a new car.

Last edited by arjanh; 05-28-2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arjanh
Yesterday i got a new mechatronic unit (part of the s-teonic gearbox) (warranty) the problem of a delayed gas response and jerky drive from stop is 100% solved !!!!

Interesting...I found another guy who had the Mechatronic unit replaced on his B8 S4 to address some jerkiness and clunking. Something tells me this will be tough to get AoA to cover under warranty. I have my 15k next week; I may ask about it again.
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by arjanh
Yesterday i got a new mechatronic unit (part of the s-teonic gearbox) (warranty) the problem of a delayed gas response and jerky drive from stop is 100% solved !!!!

That's a lot of miles/km. Is your car a 2013 C7 S6?
Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
That's a lot of miles/km. Is your car a 2013 C7 S6?
Good point. I was assuming from the language/units he's in Europe, where the S6 was available as a 2012, but that's still 25k miles a year, which is quite a bit.
Old 05-28-2014, 01:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi,

Yes i drive a lot!
My car is from 17-9-2012 (one of the first here in Holland)
Old 05-28-2014, 05:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Good point. I was assuming from the language/units he's in Europe, where the S6 was available as a 2012, but that's still 25k miles a year, which is quite a bit.
I would be at 40K miles if the dealership didn't have my car for a month and I picked mine up at the end of Sept. 2012 Just need to be driving the car

The miles add up when you are having a good time driving your car.

Quick Reply: The definitive word on the "throttle lag" issue (hopefully)