S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Front License Plate

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 03:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front License Plate

I ordered my S6 without a spot for the front license plate...I live in CT and I do know of quite a few people that have been pulled over/ticketed for not having a front plate. What are your opinions on this? What did you do? Thanks!
Old 03-04-2013, 03:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in IL, where front plates (read: radar reflectors) are mandatory. I too ordered without a front plate holder, because I find them ugly.

I do not run a front plate, but if i were to, I would pull one of those "rare earth magnet" jobs...
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't see where you gain anything. You still end up with those ungainly filler panels.

Has anyone tried cutting the filler panels out? How easy is it to remove the grill? There are pictures of the launch cars that don't have them, and they look much nicer IMO.

Old 03-04-2013, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by hugojack
I ordered my S6 without a spot for the front license plate...I live in CT and I do know of quite a few people that have been pulled over/ticketed for not having a front plate. What are your opinions on this? What did you do? Thanks!
They're "required" in WI too, but I never use a front plate. I haven't been pulled over or ticketed for it. If I do, I'll just pay the fine and consider it a sports car tax. No way I'm putting a front plate on this car.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jascooper
I don't see where you gain anything. You still end up with those ungainly filler panels.

Has anyone tried cutting the filler panels out? How easy is it to remove the grill? There are pictures of the launch cars that don't have them, and they look much nicer IMO.

On the front filler panel. I just didn't like grey so made them black. Better, yes?
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks nice. Paint was my second thought. Looks like a can of Rustoleum will do the trick.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by hugojack
Looks much worse with front plates. I live in NH and I believe no front plates counts as moving violation (and in MA as well), so it hits your insurance as a point and will cost much much more over the 6 years it takes to get the point off your record. I haven't been able to get a clear answer about this though. I've tried the DMV, RMV, insurance agent, insurance company, friends, and the Audi dealer. Everyone has a different answer. If it were a simple ticket I'd risk the fine as well, but if it goes on your insurance it's almost certainly not worth it. Does anyone know definitively? For MA, NH, CT?
Old 03-05-2013, 03:12 AM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tony7314
Looks much worse with front plates. I live in NH and I believe no front plates counts as moving violation (and in MA as well), so it hits your insurance as a point and will cost much much more over the 6 years it takes to get the point off your record. I haven't been able to get a clear answer about this though. I've tried the DMV, RMV, insurance agent, insurance company, friends, and the Audi dealer. Everyone has a different answer. If it were a simple ticket I'd risk the fine as well, but if it goes on your insurance it's almost certainly not worth it. Does anyone know definitively? For MA, NH, CT?
Send an e-mail off to your State Representatives asking them to bring up a bill in your State Legislature to eliminate the front plate requirement. It may take a while, but you have to start somewhere.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RFS
Send an e-mail off to your State Representatives asking them to bring up a bill in your State Legislature to eliminate the front plate requirement. It may take a while, but you have to start somewhere.
I live in a state that requires a front plate. I understand the logic that it's easier for police to identify a car from the front or back. The only real argument against having to run a front plate is aesthetics. That said, I'm not running a front plate. If I get a few tickets, I may change my mind.

I think a paid exemption when registering your car would make sense. You could pay an extra $100 every year at registration not to run a front plate. They could put a sticker on your back plate to signify you are exempt. 95% of people would still run a front plate, the state would get a few extra bucks, and people that really don't want to run a plate don't have to break the law. Everyone wins.
Old 03-05-2013, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RFS
Sorry to say it but I don't think this will ever work. We are becoming a nanny state with big brother watching our every move in the name of protecting us from "terrorism". More police depts are getting automated license plate readers, and let's not forget the boom in traffic cameras. Anything that makes it harder for them to id cars would be a no-go. In NY even putting a clear plastic cover over your plates is illegal.

As for not putting a front plate on, I'm of the opinion that the less interaction one has with the police the better. People have been killed by police during traffic stops b/c the cop thought they were reaching for a gun.

Quick Reply: Front License Plate