S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Indirect or Direct TPMS for 2017/18 S6?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Indirect or Direct TPMS for 2017/18 S6?

I have a 2018 on order. Trying to understand if the S6 has Direct or Indirect TPMS.
Will I be able to see individual tire pressure on the MMI or will only get a warning when pressure is low in one of the wheels?

Thanks
Old 08-10-2017, 02:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Indirect TPMS.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HiTEC
Indirect TPMS.
Thank you for the reply.

It's incredible that an $80k car will not display individual tire pressure.
I think even a Passat will.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm glad it doesn't have direct TPMs. They're expensive to maintain (batteries eventually give out) and if you need dedicated winter wheels, they're a significant additional expense. I can check tire pressures with a gauge in a few minutes and, when driving, only need to know if pressures go out of whack. To me, it's the better option.
Old 08-10-2017, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 566 Likes on 448 Posts

Newer Passats are using indirect, all modern German vehicles do.. it works better.

How's that flip phone of yers holding up?
Old 08-11-2017, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Newer Passats are using indirect, all modern German vehicles do.. it works better.

How's that flip phone of yers holding up?
What ever sensors they're using, these Passats can show specific tire pressure.

I don't NEED direct sensors, would just like to see specific pressure in each tire, especially in a $80k car.

How's that overpriced iPhone of yours working? does anything different than the previous one?
Old 08-11-2017, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the RS7 has direct sensors. Yea... it's kind of weird. I actually don't mind because I have winter wheels and I have a feeling there is probably a pairing process that needs to be done.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackhawk123
I don't NEED direct sensors, would just like to see specific pressure in each tire, especially in a $80k car.
You cannot get specific pressures from anything other than in-tire (direct) transducers/sensors. ABS-based TPMS will only reveal that one tire is lower than the others. As discussed above, there's a trade-off inherent to each type of system. Audi picked, IMO, the most customer-friendly and cost-effective system for our cars. Different tastes/expectations mean that no car will make every customer completely happy.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Actually when I had my winter tires mounted on my winter wheels they tore one of the beads and one wheel had a slow leak. Yes, you can't get as accurate temperatures and pressures like a direct system, but my system did warn me about my single wheel being low. That is how I noticed it the first time and eventually had to get a new tire after trying to fill it a couple times.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HiTEC
Yes, you can't get as accurate temperatures and pressures like a direct system, but my system did warn me about my single wheel being low.
Hey, could you please tell us what was the pressure you saw when warned? The beauty of TPMS (our system is not TPMS, but more like FMS, or 'flat monitoring system') is you get a warning with just a few PSI less than normal, so absolutely nothing happens to the tire, but most importantly, to your safety and possibly you family's. If you have a tire significantly underinflated, and tackle a curve at speed, it can be catastrophic. And also running at high speed in summer. If this system is accurate enough (doubtful) that it warns you when tire is still above 30 psi, then I'd feel much better. I also like to monitor the hot pressure. The best systems are the ones that show in-time pressure AND temperature, like all McLaren cars, some Ferraris and GT Porsches, and RS Audis. I was expecting to see at least regular sensors on S cars, but guess diesel-gate dictated to skimp even on passenger safety. Oh well. Hope to hear this decades old system is better than it used to be.

Quick Reply: Indirect or Direct TPMS for 2017/18 S6?