S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Long term reliability?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeS6
uberwn, It's "never say never"

...When I started my Audi S6 buying search, I started with the thought of looking for perhaps a used one, there were even a few 2015's around that I looked at. One dealer ship I went to had a 2015 S6 that had only 9K Miles on it, asking price was 78K.(nicely optioned) I looked at it, it was a mess... it had scuffed wheels, scratches on the paint, they really didn't have it cleaned up nicely. I began to think about it, why in the world would I pay 78K (they had this fixed pricing, which is total BS and a scam for dumb people, to any dealerships that do this, aside from perhaps carmax) For a car used, CPO'ed and an older body style? Why was the price so high?
Well in this particular case the Audi S6 had a mid-cycle refresh (C7.5) The dealership probably figured it would have to CPO the car which means they register it with Audi as a CPO, they supposedly do an extensive inspection, and recon on the car (which they don't, or they half *** it) but they pay Audi the $2,000+ for the CPO Status and warranty on a car that already has a powerful 3 years left on the factory warranty...lol. Which now makes the car unreliable at a normal "used" or CPO price. Of course the reason it's unreliable at that price is... who would pay 78K for a used car, when you can Negotiate a brand new (normally MSRP 85K S6) car down to 76K.

Basically I found if you look around at Somers these cars that are only 1 year old. The dealerships foolishly get them CPO'ed and it places them in "tough to sell" price point, when an smart buyer will just buy new for literally less or equal to. Or even if you find less than... ok by $500? lol you should just buy new at that price.

I would never want a CPO, as you pay a premium for it, and I'd rather pay a premium for a brand new factory vehicle. Especially in a 1 or 2 year old Audi. You'd still revive a 2+ year Factory Bumper to Bumper, that gives you a lot of time and protection, and you scan always purchase the extended warranty right before the warranty runs out.
Right on!
Believe it or not, majority of car shoppers are not good negotiators or just flat out do not have the patience. One word: Internet! Another option is to become a Audi North America Club member. After 6 months as a member, you're eligible for the 6% discount at a participating dealer plus conquest or loyalty bonus. Normally, I can beat the 6% but it's a good starting point. Food4thought.
Old 11-14-2019, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattsam
I must say my S6 (2013 with 40K Miles) has been very reliable.

Brakes are the main issue I've had. Changed out at 27k miles
Tires go about 22K Miles.
This 4.0T engine is the real deal. It's going to be pretty bullet proof.

I'd say go for it! In fact mine is coming off lease in 2 months, its near mint. PM me if you are interested in buying it.
What are you smoking? The 4.0T is a horror show of unreliability. It has a pair of oil screens in the turbo feed lines which trap gunk and clog up causing the turbos to fail in as little as 30K miles. It is not a matter of if, but when your turbos grenade on this engine because an oil screen, like a filter, is by definition a service item which traps **** and need to be replaced. The problem is that it takes 10 hours and the entire front end and everything on top of the engine needs to come out to replace these $16 filters. If you don't replace them your turbos will die and it'll cost you $13,000 which in an older car totals the vehicle. The Oil separator also fails from time to time require the same 10 hours to replace.

It is a totally retarded design; it is practically an engine where a proper oil and filter change costs $2000 and 10 hours of labor. Nevermind that it is never that high performance to begin with. 420-520hp is about the same specific output as a 210-260hp 2.0T... a Chevy Malibu four makes more specific power.

I don't know how many of these 4.0T cars make it to 80,000 miles without blowing up their engines. I hope maybe half which is ridiculously bad.