S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Looking to possibly trade up.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to possibly trade up.

Hey everyone, new to the forum.

I've been looking around and watching reviews and reading up. I'm half tempted to look into trading in my A4 for an S6. It looks like so far the 2013 that I intend on looking for may either be good or bad depending on what all has been done to it. Does anyone have suggestions on what to look out for, or if I should just wait until a higher year is in my price range? I appreciate the feedback.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

Facelift 2016-2018 in the US is usually better to look for since they fix/improve things as they go along.
That being said some things to look for would be:
Oil change interval.
Has the oil screen and PCV/oil strainer been replaced.
Any history of oil consumption.
Oil and coolant lines to turbos look for any leaks. (Should be clean and dry)
Motor mount replacement history. (They are known to be problematic...at least if they've been replaced once you might have more time on the new set.)
S-tronic...any service history issues, test drive and make sure it is smooth no bangs or hard clunks. If it is over 35k miles has the fluid and filter service been done?
Any control arm/ball joint clunks when going over bumps. Particularly at low speeds.
Have All stock ECU and TCU updates been performed by the dealership. (C7 is up to Rev 0008 on the ECU and Rev 0006 on the TCU...don't quote me on that.)
MMI updates. ( A long shot but it would be nice if it was up to at least K0942_3 firmware and 6.16.2 maps. (not a deal-breaker and most likely not done on an older model)
PODS recall complete.
Alignment, tires, brakes and rotors and all the basic stuff you always need to check when buying a used car.
Has it been previously tuned..is it TD1 if still under some sort of warranty.

If you do not need the extra space of the C7 platform it might be worthwhile to look into an S4/S5. I know they are not on the same level, but it is a nice upgrade from an A4.
The following users liked this post:
h0ll0w (07-11-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by gk1
Facelift 2016-2018 in the US is usually better to look for since they fix/improve things as they go along.
That being said some things to look for would be:
Oil change interval.
Has the oil screen and PCV/oil strainer been replaced.
Any history of oil consumption.
Oil and coolant lines to turbos look for any leaks. (Should be clean and dry)
Motor mount replacement history. (They are known to be problematic...at least if they've been replaced once you might have more time on the new set.)
S-tronic...any service history issues, test drive and make sure it is smooth no bangs or hard clunks. If it is over 35k miles has the fluid and filter service been done?
Any control arm/ball joint clunks when going over bumps. Particularly at low speeds.
Have All stock ECU and TCU updates been performed by the dealership. (C7 is up to Rev 0008 on the ECU and Rev 0006 on the TCU...don't quote me on that.)
MMI updates. ( A long shot but it would be nice if it was up to at least K0942_3 firmware and 6.16.2 maps. (not a deal-breaker and most likely not done on an older model)
PODS recall complete.
Alignment, tires, brakes and rotors and all the basic stuff you always need to check when buying a used car.
Has it been previously tuned..is it TD1 if still under some sort of warranty.

If you do not need the extra space of the C7 platform it might be worthwhile to look into an S4/S5. I know they are not on the same level, but it is a nice upgrade from an A4.

I appreciate all the helpful info. I don't necessarily need the space, although it would be a bit nicer than the A4.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

If I had to do it again I would have spent a little more and got a facelifted one, MY16. Also, from the experience I have had, try to get full service records if possible so you can see what has been done maintenance wise and other.