S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Motor Trend S6 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend S6 Comparison

See link below for an interesting comparison of the S6 with the Cadillac CTS V-Sport, and Lexus GS F. I won't spoil the outcome of the article, but I feel pretty good how the S6 compared. For my needs, the car is clearly the best choice of this group. I find it interesting that the S6 gets the best fuel mileage, and is the heaviest with the largest engine...plus it's the fastest!

I look forward to hearing what others here think...

Comparison: Audi S6 4.0T Quattro vs Cadillac CTS V-Sport vs Lexus GS F - Motor Trend

Chris JB

2016 S6 Prestige - Tornado Gray Metallic, Black Optic Package, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Side Airbags, Layered Aluminum/Black Wood inlay

Last edited by Chris JB; 03-08-2016 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've driven two of the three cars in the test (GSF is the exception, though I've tried a GS350), and the article's reaction to the field rings true to me.

Everyone here knows how good the S6 is. But far too few have caught on to the renaissance happening at Cadillac. They make legit first rate sport sedans. Not in a "how cute, Cadillac is trying to be German" sense, but in a "the student is becoming the master" sense. Especially their magnetic suspensions and steering. Magnificent.

Caddy still lags in raw luxury and some of the finer touches, but their real world cost is so much less most can live with it.

Last edited by Pratfall; 03-08-2016 at 12:07 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew I should have bought the Cadi or the Lexus!!! Dang it, man! Oh wait, I would have have look at them every morning. Unless my garage had a device like the jetway at the airport, which led me directly into the driver's seat, I think I'll pass.

Last edited by luv2sleep; 03-08-2016 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Except for the fact...

that the Cad has one of the worst initial and long term reliability reports. GM has a long way to go re quality. Audi is among the top and Toyota/Lexus is generally tops if you don't mind a stiff riding car that looks like a sick guppy. I wonder if the S6 had the sport differential? The S6 needs this to handle well and Audi should not have made it optional. Could have made the difference. I will buy the Audi again.

Originally Posted by Chris JB
See link below for an interesting comparison of the S6 with the Cadillac CTS V-Sport, and Lexus GS F. I won't spoil the outcome of the article, but I feel pretty good how the S6 compared. For my needs, the car is clearly the best choice of this group. I find it interesting that the S6 gets the best fuel mileage, and is the heaviest with the largest engine...plus it's the fastest!

I look forward to hearing what others here think...

Comparison: Audi S6 4.0T Quattro vs Cadillac CTS V-Sport vs Lexus GS F - Motor Trend

Chris JB

2016 S6 Prestige - Tornado Gray Metallic, Black Optic Package, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear Side Airbags, Layered Aluminum/Black Wood inlay
Old 03-08-2016, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, interesting result. The test S6 seems highly spec-ed, but without black optics you have to wonder if it has the sport diff.

I must say, I'm disappointed with how my car handles in comfort mode. I could accept it being a little worse than dynamic, but not as bad as it is. I'm seriously thinking of dropping the car, using VCDS, to half way between comfort and dynamic, which seems to be about 6-7mm lower, so that comfort is not too harsh and the handling will be a lot better.

What would really be nice, with this car, is a user settable speed that the car will lower itself at, when in comfort mode.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

whats funny my brother has that caddy and every week he gets a recall notice!
Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks like it has the sport differential since the exhaust finishers are black.
Old 03-09-2016, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Reading the text of the test, it seemed to me that the Audi was the least compromised, and therefore the best all-arounder.

The Caddy would win a racetrack laptime competition, but that's hardly a valid criteria for comparing cars as large and heavy as these.

The fact that even $10,000 in rebates has failed to jump-start CTS sales tells you everything you need to know about its overall value proposition...
Old 03-09-2016, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

to be honest, ours is the fastest, most luxurious, best looking, most stable, long trip comfortable but the steering is uninspiring so we placed last?

Who designed the front of that Lexus? Looks like the front of some aquatic animal with a couple of missing genes...
Old 03-09-2016, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by goliath1
to be honest, ours is the fastest, most luxurious, best looking, most stable, long trip comfortable but the steering is uninspiring so we placed last?

Who designed the front of that Lexus? Looks like the front of some aquatic animal with a couple of missing genes...

lol. That sir, is funny.

Quick Reply: Motor Trend S6 Comparison