S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

New car, new to this.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 07:47 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New car, new to this.

So I wanna keep this straight foward. I recently got a 2017 S6 (35,000 miles), no problems or anything at all with it. I really wanna keep her going for a long time, but I also wanna give her some upgrades ( brakes, chip, intake, exhaust etc.) So I want to make sure I dont upgarde something and up destroying something that could have been avoided.
1. So any tips on what problems to watch out for on this car so I can catch them or avoid them. Ex. Ive heard the turbos can be one.
2. Im not looking for alot of HP gain, right around 550-600 is lilke a max for me, so if anyone has upgrades any must do's they have done that would help as well.
*Since I was planning on a APR tune but also heard about Spectrum and others as well so I wanted to make sure I got a good one for my first tune, and wanted to know if I should upgrade anything else to acommidate the tune.*
New to forums as well so I apologize if this is long.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same car. Others can chime in, but as far as 'things to look out for' i've read engine mounts and yes- turbos. You can look it up on here, but using your VIN you can find out if your car has the upgraded oil screens or not. Likely does, when I looked I think it was early 2017 all were done. As for HP upgrades, there's a lot. Mine's still CPO warranty so i'm going to hold off for the duration, but afterwards will definitely be doing something. As far as brakes, I recently bought some slotted rotors and EBC red stuff pads i'm going to put on. Stock pads leave a ton of dust, hoping to quell that.

welcome!
The following users liked this post:
DeadWolf47 (07-16-2020)
Old 07-16-2020, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the tip, might wait myself until the for mine expires then. Let me know how the ebc red works for you since I use to use them on my A3 (green stuff) amd they were amazing, was considering upgrading for now but cant seem to find anything better than OEM ( without spending $$$$)since I hear the Red stuff is a hit or miss with some people.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Key issues of significance are engine mounts and PCV, both with material costs to repair.

If going a tune, I would personally go a tried and proven option like APR. I'd want to spend some seat time in the car first to make sure everything is running as it should before modifying however (particularly if you have any warranty on the car).
Old 07-22-2020, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Good afternoon - I am in the same boat (Car). I just purchased a 2017 S6 as well. CPO.

Very excited to be joining the Audi Family.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Alister
Key issues of significance are engine mounts and PCV, both with material costs to repair.

If going a tune, I would personally go a tried and proven option like APR. I'd want to spend some seat time in the car first to make sure everything is running as it should before modifying however (particularly if you have any warranty on the car).
I have definetly heard good things about APR, Although I was thinking of doing the tune even with the warranty since I heard you can go back on a tune(stock mode) really easy.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadWolf47
I have definetly heard good things about APR, Although I was thinking of doing the tune even with the warranty since I heard you can go back on a tune(stock mode) really easy.
Do a search for TD1 - Audi can tell when the car has been tuned and the car will get flagged in the system with engine related issues far less likely to be covered by warranty as a result.
DeadWolf47 (09-10-2020)
Old 07-27-2020, 03:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadWolf47
Even if you "go back" to the stock tune, the car keeps a record of how many times the ECU has been written to. When the car is scanned at the dealer, and it always is, it will be flagged as TD1. If drive train issues start to happen this is all AoA needs to refuse to honor the warranty.
DeadWolf47 (09-10-2020)
Old 07-30-2020, 04:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is the link to determine the oil screen replacement?
Old 09-10-2020, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah I will just wait, might as well not risk it if anything goes wrong.

Quick Reply: New car, new to this.