S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Noises

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noises

recently bought a 2013 S6 and have been noticing rattles and noises and have read some of the threads on sources. I have two specific noises that I think I have narrowed down...
One is a subtle rumble that at first sounded as though it was coming from the rear deck. I tried taping the latches on the rear seats but it didn't help. After riding around in the back seat I am thinking this noise is coming from loose liners in the rear wheel wells, particularly on the driver side. I have a lot of rattling there if I gently hit the bumper cover behind the rear wheel. This noise is most noticeable at low speeds at most any road surface.
the other noise is coming from the rear passenger seat belt mechanism. There is a metal piece that is loose under the plastic cover over the rear belt where it retracts into the seat. I hear this as a vibration noise when going over bumps.
Haven't been able to get the car in for service but wondering if any others have narrowed any noises down to either of these sources?
Old 02-11-2014, 07:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2014 model and the noises are really killing my whole vibe of the car. Especially coming from a Mercedes where I had no rattles, I feel like I can pinpoint a rattle in every single panel! I took it in for service and they claimed they fixed it...but not to my standards. Audi is lucky to have a dealership a whole two hours away from me, if they were closer I would be in there constantly.

My solution is to play music constantly
Old 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Wow, I'm the pickiest guy I know, and I haven't heard any foul sounds from my 2013. I guess it's all a matter of who's on the line that day :-( I hope you guys get it sorted, or at least have lots of nice music to play.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
Wow, I'm the pickiest guy I know, and I haven't heard any foul sounds from my 2013. I guess it's all a matter of who's on the line that day :-( I hope you guys get it sorted, or at least have lots of nice music to play.
Same here. I've always complained to dealers about rattles in all my cars and this one is tight so far.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure all my cars have some sort of rattles, I just don't get caught up on them. It doesn't detract from my driving experience.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The rattles/squeaks are driving me nuts too! I have made several trips to the dealer with minimal success. My 5 series BMW had numerious rattles as welll. I'm just trying to focus on all of the wonderful aspects of this car. My new AWE exhaust and loud music are the solutions for now. I think it all has to do with your expectations of the vehicle. When I first got the S6 it thought that it had more rattles than my wife's 5 year old 4Runner. Now if I listen carefully in the 4Runner like I do in my S6, it rattles like an old work truck. I just never noticed. I think the rear deck where it meets the C pillar is the main culprit. I have given up on the dealership and am having a good portion of the interior dynamat lined.

Last edited by OKMike; 02-12-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine is petty tight. I hope I don't develop supersonic hearing when I drive to work in the morning after reading this thread, LOL.
Old 02-12-2014, 07:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OKMike
The rattles/squeaks are driving me nuts too! I have made several trips to the dealer with minimal success. My 5 series BMW had numerious rattles as welll. I'm just trying to focus on all of the wonderful aspects of this car. My new AWE exhaust and loud music are the solutions for now. I think it all has to do with your expectations of the vehicle. When I first got the S6 it thought that it had more rattles than my wife's 5 year old 4Runner. Now if I listen carefully in the 4Runner like I do in my S6, it rattles like an old work truck. I just never noticed. I think the rear deck where it meets the C pillar is the main culprit. I have given up on the dealership and am having a good portion of the interior dynamat lined.
I agree, expectation is everything!
Old 02-13-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only rattles/unwanted noises for me so far are a rattle next to the MMI that my dealer fixed, and the grille over the center-channel speaker that is making me crazy. Anybody know how hard it is to get that one out? I'm thinking of using a little leftover dynamat on the underside of it.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jslchmank
recently bought a 2013 S6 and have been noticing rattles and noises and have read some of the threads on sources. I have two specific noises that I think I have narrowed down...
One is a subtle rumble that at first sounded as though it was coming from the rear deck. I tried taping the latches on the rear seats but it didn't help. After riding around in the back seat I am thinking this noise is coming from loose liners in the rear wheel wells, particularly on the driver side. I have a lot of rattling there if I gently hit the bumper cover behind the rear wheel. This noise is most noticeable at low speeds at most any road surface.
the other noise is coming from the rear passenger seat belt mechanism. There is a metal piece that is loose under the plastic cover over the rear belt where it retracts into the seat. I hear this as a vibration noise when going over bumps.
Haven't been able to get the car in for service but wondering if any others have narrowed any noises down to either of these sources?
I had a similar noise and it was the rear registration plate rattling against the body of the car. Added some rubber tabs behind the plate and the noise was gone. Another common noise is the head up display glass rattles in its housing. Audi is aware of this issue and will fix it under warranty. I have another that seems to make a vibration/whistle mainly when the a/c is on recirculate which I haven't sourced. My other noise is the front door cards internally rattling on coarse pavements. Definitely expect better for an Audi of this calibre.

Quick Reply: Noises